Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Right USB Port not reading External HD

I'm using Mid 2014, Retina, 13-inch, Macbook Pro. I noticed that my right USB Port is not reading my 1 TB WD External HD but able to use mouse. How to fix it?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 4:41 AM

10 replies

Apr 20, 2015 12:32 PM in response to BokZ

I wonder if the right port is providing too little power, external disks often require more power than a USB flash drive.

Plug in the disk & view the System Information…

Apple menu > hold alt on the keyboard, select 'System Information'.

Select USB in the Hardware section. Find the device that tallies to the WD Elements, see the values for the Current Available (mA): and Current Required (mA):

Compare between the right & left port. NOTE, you will want to refresh the report when swapping ports, use the 'File Menu > Refresh' to do that.

Apr 20, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Drew Reece

My right USB port totally will not read my external hard drive.

My left USB port is starting to malfunction as well sometimes it works sometimes no, I have to replug or restart before HD shows up.

Manage to make it work and the readings for the left USB port:

Current Available (mA): 900

Current Required (mA): 896

It make total sense on why my right port won't read it because the required mA for external drive is 896 and available for right port is only 500.

Macbook pro retina display should have 3.0 USB ports, dunno why I only have 1 port with 900 mA.

I will visit an apple store nearby and check if other macbook pro have the same as mine.

I tried many things with my laptop PRAM, SMC, recovery mode repair, safe mode repair, updated OS X 10.10.3, Reformat HD.

There is totally nothing wrong with my external hard drive, I'm using it with my PC and tried it with my dad's laptop and it works fine. I'm using WD Elements 1TB

Apr 20, 2015 1:27 PM in response to BokZ

According to the fount of knowledge that is Wikipedia…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

As with previous USB versions, USB 3.0 ports come in low-power and high-power variants, providing 150 mA and 900 mA respectively, while simultaneously transmitting data at SuperSpeed rates.[25] Additionally, there is a Battery Charging Specification (Version 1.2 – December 2010), which increases the power handling capability to 1.5 A but does not allow concurrent data transmission.

It doesn't make sense to me that a 'low power' USB port would output 500ma unless it was working in USB2 mode.

A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 1.x and 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of five unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 1.x and 2.0, or six unit loads (900 mA) in USB 3.0.

You may want to get the genius to confirm the spec for both ports if you go along to a store, I guess they may have limitations.

I would also boot into recovery mode just to see if the disk pops up in Disk Utility via both ports - that could indicate the port is being rendered useless by the OS.

Apologies, you appear to have tried that already.

Jan 20, 2016 10:09 AM in response to Michael Conwell

Have you looked in System information…

Apple menu > hold alt on the keyboard, select 'System Information'.

Look under USB & compare the information when the disk is connected to each port.

I don't know the specs of your Mac, occasionally some computers have ports that are a different spec, so you should confirm what version of USB the disk is using. Take it to an Apple store if you want free help, obviously you'll need to pay for any repair if there is no warranty, but the genuis bar should tell you what the Mac is capable of.

Right USB Port not reading External HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.