Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ntfs/mbr error while trying to install windows 8. PLEASE help!

Ok so before I explain anything I beg you to PLEASE not tell me I haven't read/searched enough for this because I'm already very close to throwing my macbook pro down the window and regretting it after a second!

Here's what's happening:

I have a Macbook Pro late 2011 (15 inch).

-I downloaded and prepared a USB bootable Windows 8 file.

-I used bootcamp assistant to create a new partition

When I turn on my laptop pressing the ALT key and choose to boot from eh EFI USB partition. I get asked to install Windows 8 and write down the product code.

Now, here's when it gets annoying:

1) I get the error saying that I cannot choose that partition because it's not an NTFS formatted partition.

There's NO advanced options link on the bottom right corner. However, I can clearly see the Format button and when I choose the Partition and click format I get a new error saying ''Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table.''

So, I downloaded a software that formats the partition to NTFS using Disk Utility. However, when I restart, I will get the ''MBR..'' error again.

2) Concerning this second error (in case it was finally NTFS), I found another solution and that's the procedure of clicking ''SHIFT + F10'', choosing the partition disk from there and manually converting it to GBT or what ever that was.

Problem: When I manually type ''list disk'', there's only ONE partition showing as 495 GB (my laptop is 500gb) which obviously means that I'm not going to choose that and convert it to anything because it's the whole hard disk and not the bootcamp partition.

I closed the window and continued to see if I had forgotten to do the partitioning well, but once I got to the installation, my bootcamp partition was there in the partition windows, still giving me an error for MBR partition table.

So, please, I've restarted my laptop 50 times so far trying different ways to fix this, I've erased, formatted and divided the hard disk 1000 times and if I'm not mistaken that's really not something you wanna keep on doing to your laptop.

ANY help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

invisible hugs to anyone who wants to help me.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:54 AM

1. Your Mac does not support EFI, so do not use EFI boot.

2. Using Alt/Option to interrupt BCA installation is a bad idea.

3. You should allow BCA to partition and install. You do not need any third party software.

4. BCA partitions the disk as FAT and Windows will format it as NTFS. The reason the installer may not find a partition is because a MBR tells the installer to use BIOS, while the Alt is telling it to use EFI.

Please see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/mac/5.0/help/ for reference.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Sebalex

1. Your Mac does not support EFI, so do not use EFI boot.

2. Using Alt/Option to interrupt BCA installation is a bad idea.

3. You should allow BCA to partition and install. You do not need any third party software.

4. BCA partitions the disk as FAT and Windows will format it as NTFS. The reason the installer may not find a partition is because a MBR tells the installer to use BIOS, while the Alt is telling it to use EFI.

Please see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/mac/5.0/help/ for reference.

Apr 19, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Loner T

Hey Loner T!

Thank you for your time.

What do you mean when you say I'm interrupting BCA installation by using the Alt/Option button?

To just give more details: I have created the USB bootable disk separately, and the Bootcamp files also separately. I'm not using all of BCA at the same time to do this. I'm only using it to do the last part which is creating the partition. Anyway, should I format my USB (1 for windows ISO and 1 for bootcamp files) and do it all together at the same time? Download all windows files all over again?

Thank you 🙂

Apr 19, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Loner T

Well, I'm using a JetFlash Transcend 32GB Media USB.

Anyway, I just used BCA for the whole process. Once it downloaded the Windows files, did the partition and restarted by itself, there was a black screen with a message: '' No Bootable device, insert boot disk and press any key''.

This is the 3rd time that happens, and if I restart and click alt/option to choose the bootable USB, I get back to all the problems I mentioned in the first explanation... This ***** because I have a job offer and I need to work on something as soon as possible using windows. Thanks a lot for your time and help!

Apr 19, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks again.

I did all the steps you mentioned. Didn't work.

I had modified the bootcamp info.plist file to be able to prepare the USB separately, I had done this step last year and had no problem back then, also it works for so many people so I don't know why not for me. Anyway, I modified it back to how it was originally... and well, unfortunately still not working.

When BCA restarts by itself after all the steps, I get the no bootable device message. And if I open it using the alt/option key which works fine, I get stuck at the step where I can format the partition to NTFS but I get the error mentioning the MBR partition table... 😐

Apr 19, 2015 2:39 PM in response to Sebalex

Sebalex wrote:

I had modified the bootcamp info.plist file to be able to prepare the USB separately, I had done this step last year and had no problem back then, also it works for so many people so I don't know why not for me. Anyway, I modified it back to how it was originally... and well, unfortunately still not working.

This will not work, as you have already found out. BCA sets the NVRAM based on Model Identifier to boot from the Optical drive for Macs that are supposed to have built-in Optical drives. It works for people because there are a few select models which support both, for example my 13-in 2012 MBP. It is an urban myth that it works. What is the issue with your Optical drive? Did you codesign it properly (you need the --deep qualifier)?

The only resolution I know of, is to re-install OS X to get the BCA package back, if it does not work - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support.

When BCA restarts by itself after all the steps, I get the no bootable device message. And if I open it using the alt/option key which works fine, I get stuck at the step where I can format the partition to NTFS but I get the error mentioning the MBR partition table...

It is expecting to boot from a DVD in the Optical drive. Please try the DVD method. Make sure you reset NVRAM and SMC. If necessary, delete the current partition using BCA only, and start over again.

ntfs/mbr error while trying to install windows 8. PLEASE help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.