Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Other" space

Why does this exist? I've scoured the internet, Apple forums, iPhone forums, there seems to be no explanation as to how a brand new iPhone out of the box suddenly has 1.4 GB and counting of inaccessible space. I'm told and have read that this is where the iOS file system is stored, certain cache settings, etc. But again, that only would hold true to the iOS file considering an out of the box iPhone would not have cache settings, iMessages, etc. I'm about to go iNsane considering "other" seems to stand for other than logic.

Why does it appear that Apple has abandoned such a simple error as if the fix is impossible. I've read cases of this phantom space growing exponentially while iPhones aren't even being used, and have experienced it first hand myself.

My major question is why does Apple report "16 GB, 32GB, etc." iPhone storage space, knowing-not assuming but knowing-that within a few hours of use 4GB will miraculously disappear into the realm of the unknown. This defies all logic, sure they warn that due to Hard Drive capacities, one is bound to receive less than advertised, which is expected of all Hard Drives; they fail to mention that in addition to less than advertised capacities, they'll be taking a few Gigs for "other" intents and purposes.

Something Apple precariously has a genius for avoiding a direct answer as to what "other" is and how to remove it.

Very off-putting and the level of unprofessionalism is unreal.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:03 AM

There are no replies.

"Other" space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.