Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my battery ok?

Hello, I am new to the apple experience and have an iphone 4s given to me. I wanted to check the battery and used ibackupbot. Could someone tell me what these numbers mean? Is my battery good?

CycleCount: 416

DesignCapacity: 1430

FullChargeCapacity: 1400

BatteryCurrentCapacity: 40

BatteryIsCharging: true

ExternalChargeCapable: false

ExternalConnected: true

FullyCharged: false

GaseGaugeCapability: true

Thank you for your time. 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:35 AM

As long as it charges and works, you are fine. All that data is telling you is that this is not a new battery and will not perform like one. It is a used phone with a used battery with 416 full discharge/charge cycles on it. All battery's capacity declines with age and use. All Lithium cells have a finite useful lifespan and begin to deteriorate from the moment they are assembled.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 6:35 AM in response to cookeb37

As long as it charges and works, you are fine. All that data is telling you is that this is not a new battery and will not perform like one. It is a used phone with a used battery with 416 full discharge/charge cycles on it. All battery's capacity declines with age and use. All Lithium cells have a finite useful lifespan and begin to deteriorate from the moment they are assembled.

Apr 19, 2015 6:38 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you for answering me... It was given to me from my brother you bought a newer iphone so this is my first experience with apple and so far really liking it much better than android. I just put it on the charger at 36% with usage at 2 hours 48 min. and standby at 17 hours and 31 mins. Been on this forum all day yesterday reading up on the iphone.

Apr 19, 2015 7:17 AM in response to cookeb37

You can see Apple's tips for optimizing battery life here - https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

To maximize how long a lithium cell remains useful, try to avoid frequent deep cycle discharges (especially discharging it all the way to the point the device automatically powers off). Deep cycles degrade a lithium battery much faster than shallow cycles, so it is better to actually charge it more frequently to avoid deep cycles. Even if you can only partially charge it, if it is convenient to plug it in for awhile, do so (you will not harm it with partial charge or discharge cycles). You can safely leave it plugged in overnight if you wish to be sure to start each day with a nice, fully charged battery (leaving it plugged will not hurt it, nor will using it while plugged in).

An iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its capacity for 500 full discharge charge cycles (https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/), so yours is approaching that point. However, if it has avoided a lot of deep cycles, extremes of temperature and not sat static for long periods, many people get longer useful life too. As long as it seems to be working alright for you, then your fine. And, for $79 (USA) Apple will replace it. Apple does not actually replace the battery in the phone you bring/send it. They simply swap yours with a factory refurbished (i.e. like new) unit of the same model and capacity (so be sure to back yours up before sending it in for battery exchange, so you can restore from that backup later).

Is my battery ok?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.