Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad moving and clicking randomly on its own

Hi all,

I'm a student and I'm currently using an older MacBook model having bought it in 2009. I accidentally spilt a bit of orange juice on my trackpad a few months ago but stupidly didn't think it would cause any major issues until my trackpad started making my cursor move on its own and click random things, and it's also quite difficult to control it. I'm hoping to get a new MacBook anyway in a few months after my exams so I'm not too keen on sending my laptop away to get serviced if it's an option so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can do about this in the mean time? I have quite a lot of work to do that needs being done on my laptop when I havent got access to a desktop computer. It goes without saying that the issues with my trackpad only makes me waste time trying to control it. Will a Bluetooth mouse work as a compromise? If so, please can anyone recommend any ones that are good but aren't too pricey?

Thanks in advance

MacBook, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 5:39 AM

1 reply

Apr 20, 2015 4:05 AM in response to ldghz

"Will a Bluetooth Mouse work as a comprise?"

Yes. Better still so will any USB mouse. Yes even the ones you see attached to PC keyboards.

". . . that are good but aren't too pricey?"

You can pick up a USB mice from any computer store (PC World etc). I've found them in the bargain bucket anywhere from £3-£6. Bluetooth mice are OK but can be pricey compared to their USB counterparts - you have to consider batteries of course. Which is the reason why I recommend a USB mouse instead.

If all that's affected is the trackpad then consider getting it replaced at your nearest Apple Authorised Repair Centre/Genius Bar. The component itself is not costly and you may be surprised at how cheap it is.

Trackpad moving and clicking randomly on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.