Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store redirections ... again (Safari not protected, Chrome protected)

tapping on this link: http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-speeds-up-data-transfers-with-quick-udp-inte rnet-connections/ in Tweetbot opens the expected website first, a few seconds later a new page full of App Store links appears ... then a Tweetbot pop up to accept or discard the redirection o the App Store app ... that dialog box is of course better than nothing ... because if you open the original link in Safari there's no protection at all, the App Store app is launched automatically 2 seconds later.

Tried the same from Chrome, no redirection. No redirection either from the Twitter official app (may be a better implementation of in-app Safari than Safari standalone app itself ... )

Am I doing anything wrong or is it admitted that Safari for iOS is not protected against DNS hijacking ? The issue is recurrent on iOS. No idea how many times I've seen it happen. Not much to do each time, except wait that the problem goes by itself. I know that sites are responsible in the first place, but apparently Chrome can deal with the issue externally while Safari can't.

And no I don't expect any help here; but it does matter to report and describe the issue publicly on Apple's own forums. Thanks.

PS: I know, bug reporting ...as said this issue has been on iOS for years now.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 7:06 AM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2015 9:24 AM in response to JimHdk

you're right about JavaScript.... but clearing it won't solve anything either as the script will be generated again when you reach the affected pages, these same pages being redirected again until the "legit" sites admins do something about it, or the browser developer integrates something preventing such redirections globally.

That's the page I'm getting before being redirected to the App Store:

hxxp:// ads.appia com/v2/getAds.jsp?siteId=3088&placementId=2&errorCode=1000&totalCampaignsReques ted=10 (link purposely broken)

they even manage to redirect websites helping users to block websites on iOS ... and hey, these redirections on iOS always link to the AppStore... guess why Apple doesn't block them ...

User uploaded file

Apr 19, 2015 9:41 AM in response to arrow7

Adding that blocking websites from iOS restrictions doesn't solve the problem here; the page I mentioned (link and screenshot) won't show up but the AppStore redirection will still happen. No JavaScript blocker on iOS ... that sort of thing would never happen on Firefox/NoScript. And as said, even Chrome iOS is able to deal with such problems. Oh yeah, the great thing about website blocking in restrictions is that it probably uses a script to block sites ... as clearing web data then become disabled (constantly greyed out). Some firewall rules would be more elegant. Or may be it's greyed out to prevent kids from clearing web data.

App Store redirections ... again (Safari not protected, Chrome protected)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.