Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macpro and memory and ambient temperatures

I have a new MacPro bought a year or so ago. Using istat menus, one of the ambient temperature readings are consistently between 85-100F. The actual temperature outside the MacPro is 75F. So why such a high reading? The intake vents on the MacPro are clean. Similarly, my internal SSD temperature frequently spikes to up to 130F, with no change in fan speed. Using MacsFanControl, I can increase the fan speed and both the ambient and SSD temperature drops. Other SSDs in external enclosures nearby have temps in the low 80s. Should I be concerned? I have reset the SMC multiple times. Any help appreciated.

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:10 AM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Ishan Bhattacharya1

Where are you finding that 40*C for memory is "hot"?

Old FBDIMMs in the 2006-2008 usually showed minimum 59*C and "were in trouble" if they got to 75* even with their massive size heat sink.

The Apple SSD in the 6,1 has a heat sink though whether and how effective it is can be questioned. There are adapters to use one in a cMP with and without a heat sink and not a lot of difference but also poor contact too.

Disk drives are fine at 40*C also. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not and whether iStat is getting a good reading for it, yes PCIe-SSD can produce heat.... processors don't have moving parts, and they get hot, but there you are talking 35*C idle and 65-75*C under load.

Laptops are unfortunate in seeing extreme temperatures, closed space, and fan has to work harder.

New Macpro and memory and ambient temperatures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.