Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my aperture library is empty after photos merge

After my update to photos, my aperture library is empty. I understand I am still supposed to see all my photos in aperture.

Have tried to restore library to no avail. Also having problems uploading from my canon d40 With aperture it was fast and easy with photos it takes forever and has troubles uploading the pictures.

Any ideas?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), This happens every time

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:22 AM

8 replies

Apr 19, 2015 8:35 AM in response to rubencito

I don't know but I have similar problem. .I wanted to take a look at Photos. Now when I open Aperture I am asked to identify library. If I select iPhoto I get the message, "The content of this iPhoto library already has been migrated to the Photos app. This library can be opened in Aperture, but any changes, including importing new photos, will not appear in the Photos library." Not sure what I should do to correct so I am interested in recommendations that you may get also.

Apr 19, 2015 2:33 PM in response to BobKnc

I have the same issue. The Photos app "import" so that I could see if I found the app useful was actually a conversion of my Aperture library. I expected Photos to have its own copy of everything.

I'm looking for a way to migrate fully back to Aperture until I find something better than Photos. Its just too stripped down and dumbed down to be useful.

Apr 19, 2015 8:56 PM in response to BobKnc

That message is normal after opening your Aperture library the first time after migrating it to Photos. It is trying to tell you that you now have two separate libraries and that they are not connected in any way. Any change you make in one will not appear in the other.

You can continue to work in the older Aperture library but you won't see any edits you make or new photos you import in the new Photos library.

Apr 25, 2015 6:13 AM in response to rubencito

I had this problem post-Photos as well. When I opened Aperture, there were no photos. Going to File -> Switch to Library, I noticed that there were two libraries labelled "Aperture Library". In the Pictures folder in Finder, I noticed that the newer library is 7.9 MB, but the older is 148.21 GB. I made sure to select the older library. Aperture had to repair the library database, it took a while, then it opened up as usual. Maybe this will help you, too.

The Photos app is not going to work for me - too little editing options, no NIK support, etc. It's nowhere near a professional alternative, but I guess that was Apple's intention with the app. Oh well, I have a little while to keep using it before shifting to Lightroom or Capture One.

Apr 25, 2015 8:30 PM in response to jfmorris

I'm looking for a way to migrate fully back to Aperture until I find something better than Photos. Its just too stripped down and dumbed down to be useful.

Photos is most definitely not a replacement for Aperture. Like many others, I plan to continue using Aperture until forced to do otherwise. For simple editing and organizing I would recommend "Lyn" as an alternative to iPhoto or Photos.

my aperture library is empty after photos merge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.