Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken Fusion Drive and HDD

I have an iMac (21,5 inch, Late 2013) with 1.2 TB Fusion Drive. Days ago I tried to create a new partition for Windows using Disk Utility, and all went well until I tried to install windows from USB. After installation is complete, I rebooted the iMac and saw a gray screen and a crossed circle. I tried to boot in recovery, but it gave nothing as it was absent. The next step was internet recovery. I ran Disk Utility and saw two red disks called Media (HDD) and Untitled (SSD). Disk Utility reported that they are no longer used in the Fusion Drive and offered to fix it, but nothing happened and the disks were red. I decided to just reinstall the OS X and left for the night.

Today completing the installation, I found that a broken Fusion Drive was broken, SDD works fine, but "Media" HDD does not work, and OS X shows this is displayed:

User uploaded file

In Disk Utility impossible to do anything with Media and diskutil info gives that:

Device Identifier: disk0

Device Node: / dev / disk0

Part of Whole: disk0

Device / Media Name: Media

Volume Name: Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted: Not applicable (no file system)

File System: None

Content (IOContent): None

OS Can Be Installed: No

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: SATA

SMART Status: Not Supported

Total Size: 0 B (0 Bytes) (exactly 0512-Byte-Units)

Volume Free Space: Not applicable (no file system)

Device Block Size: 512 Bytes

Read-Only Media: No

Read-Only Volume: Not applicable (no file system)

Ejectable: No

Whole: Yes

Internal: Yes

Solid State: No

OS 9 Drivers: No

Low Level Format: Not supported

Do at least something with this disk from OS X impossible.

I tried everything with diskutil and gpt from terminal and got only errors.

gpt is unable to open device '/ dev / disk0': Operation not supported by device

distil can not

distil is Error: -69825: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed

diskutil list:

/ Dev / disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: 0 * B disk0

diskutil cs list:

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

I created a Ubuntu live usb and opened gparted and everything is OK with HDD, gparted successfully performs all with him and mounts in Ubuntu. I completely removed all partitions and several times created GPT and Mac partitions with FAT32 / ext4 / HFS filesystems, loaded in OS X, but absolutely nothing has changed. HDD "broken" only for OS X. I've tried everything "from google" and now I have no idea what to do.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 1,2 TB Fusion Drive

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 7:46 AM

There are no replies.

Broken Fusion Drive and HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.