Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am using an airport extreme (wired) and an airport express (wireless). Trying to improve my wireless so i hard wired the airport express. When connected, my network crashes.Do i need to change the set-up of the express?

I am using an airport extreme (wired) and an airport express (wireless). Trying to improve my wireless so i hard wired the airport express. When connected, my network crashes.Do i need to change the set-up of the express?

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 10:23 AM

Do i need to change the set-up of the express?

Yes.

If you initially set up the Express to "extend" using a wireless connection, then the Express is expecting to see a wireless connection from the AirPort Extreme.

If you then connect an Ethernet cable to the Express introducing a wired connection, this creates a massive feedback loop on the network, which effectively crashes the network.

The Express needs to be reset back to factory default settings, then the Ethernet cable needs to be connected to the Express, and then the Express needs to be setup to "extend using Ethernet".

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 10:23 AM in response to johnk birmingham

Do i need to change the set-up of the express?

Yes.

If you initially set up the Express to "extend" using a wireless connection, then the Express is expecting to see a wireless connection from the AirPort Extreme.

If you then connect an Ethernet cable to the Express introducing a wired connection, this creates a massive feedback loop on the network, which effectively crashes the network.

The Express needs to be reset back to factory default settings, then the Ethernet cable needs to be connected to the Express, and then the Express needs to be setup to "extend using Ethernet".

Apr 19, 2015 10:32 AM in response to johnk birmingham

Glad that you got things working.

If you now go back in using AirPort Utility and check to see what the actual setting for the Wireless Mode of the AirPort Express might be.......you may be surprised to see that it has actually been setup to "Create a wireless network".......although the setup "wizard" called this "extend using Ethernet" during the configuration of the device.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.