Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Administrator password on my Macbook Air

Can anyone help me? I don't have the administrator access on my Macbook Air, 10.6.8 Snow Leopard! It was given to me by my father-in-law because he never used it and now he can't remember the password. I don't care if anything he put on there is lost, but I need to be able to have administrator access. Help!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:26 AM

1 reply

Apr 19, 2015 9:09 AM in response to pisacano

Determine if the following method will work for you:

1. Shut down your Mac and turn it back on while holding down the and S keys at the same time until your see a black screen with white text. This is known as Single User mode.
  2. You can skip the next step, but it is recommended that you do not because it will check your boot volume for errors and correct what it can:

At the :/ root# prompt, type fsck -fy and press Return or Enter. It will take a few moments to complete. If you are concerned that nothing is happening just press the Return key until you see the :/ root# prompt again. Once the disk check is complete and the prompt returns, type mount -uw / and press Return / Enter.

3. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist and press Enter.

If you get an error message you may ignore it.

4. Type ls /Users and press Enter. All of the usernames on the computer will be listed, which is helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.
  5. Type dscl . passwd /Users/username password while replacing username with one of the users displayed in the previous step and replacing password with the new password of your choice. Press Enter. You will likely get an error message about a file or directory not being found. You may ignore this.
  6. Type reboot and press Enter.

Reset Administrator password on my Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.