Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (Late 2012) ethernet connection not working (10.10.3)

I've recently moved and now have the ability to utilize ethernet instead of wireless. Unfortunately, the ethernet connection does not appear to work.

The network location says:

"Cable Unplugged: Either the cable for Ethernet is not plugged in or the device on the other end is not responding".

I unplugged the cable and plugged it into a blu-ray player. The physical connection is working. Just not on the mac.

Steps taken so far:

• Rebooted
  • Unplugged
  • Deleted the location, added it back.

Adapter looks okay (netstat -I en0 looks okay... looks okay within system preferences as well)

Is this a HW issue?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 8:42 AM

7 replies

Feb 27, 2016 10:33 AM in response to HoosierD

Just this morning had the same exact problem.

Late 2012 Mac mini.

Wireless works fine.

Airport Extreme, 3TB model for Time Machine.

Ethernet has worked for 3 years, now does not work:

- Network panel shows disconnected, "Cable disconnected."

- When Wi-Fi is turned off, there is no router shown in the Airport Utility. Router returns when Wi-Fi is back on.

- Changed Ethernet cable - no difference.

- Plugged Mac mini directly into cable modem - no difference.

- Shut down and waited 45 seconds - no difference

- Reset PRAM - no difference.

AND...

A second computer on wired Ethernet works and surfs fine.

So this problem is with the Ethernet port on the Mac mini. Has anyone found a cure for this? All I did was reboot the Mac mini - no other changes.

Feb 27, 2016 12:23 PM in response to johnnylundy

Just reboot, hold down the Comand & R keys, do a First Aid (as a safety measure) from the Disk Utility menu, then do a Reinstall OS (of course you have to be online somehow to do this. (My WiFi worked, so I used that). Once you've reinstalled the OS, your Ethernet port should work again. It did for me! (That's the quick way to do it - from Apple Tech Support)

Mac Mini (Late 2012) ethernet connection not working (10.10.3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.