Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you use Ducker?

I see in the help section that there is in fact a Ducker in 10.1.1 but it only works in output and aux. I can't get it in either. I really need ducking our side chain compression and I can't seem to figure it out. All the tutorials on youtube are outdated

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Late 2012

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 7:49 AM

23 replies

Apr 19, 2015 7:56 AM in response to orsinichris

Use the Ducker plug-in

1. 1 Insert Ducker into an aux channel strip.
  2. 2 Assign all channel strip outputs that are supposed to “duck” (dynamically lower the volume of

the mix) to a bus—the aux channel strip chosen in step 1.

3. 3 In the Ducker plug-in window header, choose the bus that carries the ducking (vocal) signal from the Side Chain pop-up menu.

Note: Unlike all other side-chain-capable plug-ins, the Ducker side chain is mixed with the output signal after passing through the plug-in. This ensures that the ducking side-chain signal—the voiceover—is heard at the output.

4. 4 Adjust the Ducker parameters.

For more info read the Effects Guide found here (Page 89)

Logic Pro X User Guides

Apr 20, 2015 6:36 AM in response to orsinichris

Well, as I said, downloading won't help, Ducker (and all Logic plugins) is built into the app, and I can get it on aux- and output channels, by holding the option key and choosing it from the Legacy submenu in an effect slot. Not on regular audio- or instrument tracks though.

If there is no Sidechain option on the Compressor, then some Advanced Tools are not enabled.

Apr 20, 2015 9:57 AM in response to orsinichris

Still no Ducker

As Erik pointed out... You can only select the Ducker using the Effects button in an Aux Strip or Output Strip....

If you try to find it under the Effects button in an Audio or Instrument Strip it will not be there...

Option click on the Audio Effects button in an Aux strip....

User uploaded file

Then.... Ducker will appear under the legacy section

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2015 5:42 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

I have to say I was intrigued by the whole concept of "Ducker" as I've never heard of it, and despite following all of the clear advice on this thread, it fails to appear, option key or no, on an Aux strip, whether mono or stereo...

But there is something slightly perverse about hiding features like these.....

The problem is that from the very beginning Logic has had so many features and for me it has always historically been bad at organising them into coherent menus, etc...not that I'm saying I could organise them any better! I can understand if Apple attempt to simplify the app, but I don't want to lose any features thanks.......I worry about the future of the Environment window, for example..!

Apr 20, 2015 7:17 PM in response to Matthew Vaughan1

and despite following all of the clear advice on this thread, it fails to appear, option key or no, on an Aux strip, whether mono or stereo...

Ok.. this is weird....

So,

When you option click on an Insert FX button in an Aux Strip and you then click on the legacy section, what do you see?

Can you take a screenshot like I did above.. as that might help solve the mystery.....

Apr 20, 2015 7:43 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Yes, thanks; here you go:

Here it is on a mono aux:

User uploaded file

And here on a stereo - same thing:

User uploaded file

To be honest, I'm not sure that I need this plug-in particularly, there are many other things ******* me off about Logic X and I never even knew this plugin existed! But I can't for the life of me work out why it's not there......was this just introduced in v.10, or has it been about for ages?

Many thanks

Mat

How do you use Ducker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.