Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail on MacBook Air 10.10.3

Mailbox behavior: when I 'renamed' a mailbox, then all of the messages I had stored under the previous name vanished; did I delete these

through this action?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:57 AM

4 replies

Apr 19, 2015 11:21 AM in response to allan299

I'll assume that you back up with Time Machine.

Bring the Mail browser window forward, then enter Time Machine. You'll see a series of Mail windows cascading back in time, each representing a snapshot of the Mail database.

Scroll back to the most recent snapshot containing the messages you want to restore. Select the messages, then click Restore. The messages will be restored to a new mailbox named "com.apple.Mail.backup" in the On My Mac group. From there you can move them wherever you like.

Depending on how many mailboxes you have, you may have to scroll the mailbox list up or down to see the new entry. According to some reports, you might have to relaunch Mail, or perhaps wait a while for the database to be reindexed, before it shows up. I can't confirm those reports.

Apple Mail on MacBook Air 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.