Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8.3 music app shuts down when I try to open it

Since updating to 8.3, both my iPhone 6+ and my iPad 3 will not play music from my playlists. The music app shuts down and reverts to the home screen each time I try to play music.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 7:37 AM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 8:02 AM in response to richfromli

I went to Genius Bar in an attempt to resolve this issue. They suggested putting my device into restore mode while connected to my computer and restoring the software. This did NOT resolve the problem. It now appears that it is only the "Recently Added" play list that shuts down the music app on both my iPhone and iPad. If I play from any of my other playlists, the problem doesn't occur.

May 31, 2015 3:01 PM in response to D S MacLean

Sounds like I'm having the same issue on my iPhone 6. I'll try and describe my issue as accurately/detailed as I can.

Starting about a month ago my "Recently Added" playlist is able to function briefly, and then shuts the music app down. Each new day it is able to play 2 songs from the "Recently Added" playlist, and then it shuts down. If at any time during the playing of those 2 songs I try to turn on/off shuffle, or if I return to the menu to try and change the song, the app will shut down. Once it does shut down, I can reopen the app for about 1 second, but need to quickly switch out of the "Playlists" submenu, or else it will shut down immediately. If I am able to switch to "Songs" or "Artists" submenus I can play music just fine. If I attempt to return to the "Playlists" menu, though, the app immediately shuts down. If I leave the whole thing alone for long enough (a day, maybe less), it seems like the whole process starts over.

I have tried restoring the phone, but this didn't fix the issue. Turning off/on the phone during one of these episodes doesn't help either.

iPhone 8.3 music app shuts down when I try to open it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.