Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Airport Utility

After an automatic update from Apple, my 1 TB second generation TimeCapsule stopped working. No longer works on my wireless network. I have a laptop running Windows 7. I've uninstalled the Airport Utility, and when I try to reinstall it, I get a message that a newer version is already installed. I've disconnected my wireless network, turned off all firewalls, and turned off my anti-virus. After two months of frustration, I uninstalled all Apple products and deleted all common files. Then I got a message saying the setup file was corrupt. I reinstalled Wiindows 7. Tried again. Now I don't get a message that the file is corrupt, but it still says there is a newer file installed, although no instance of Airport Utility is installed. I've tried my original install disc, but I get the same thing. I turned off Apple updates. Same message. I've tried connecting directly to the TC via ethernet cable. Nothing. Now four months have passed. I can't afford to lose what's on the TC. Help. No screams left.

1TB TimeCapsule-OTHER, Windows 7, 64 bit

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 9:11 AM

1 reply

Apr 20, 2015 2:38 PM in response to JSchenck1946

You do not need airport utility to access the TC.. it just helps a lot.

Do a factory reset of the TC. No files are deleted doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

1. Plug the ethernet from computer to the TC. No other connections.. no internet... turn off wireless in the computer if it has it.

2. Ensure the computer is set to dhcp and gets IP 10.0.1.2 .. If this does not happen the TC power supply might be faulty.. please check the ethernet connectivity lights are on. Assuming it is working...

3. In windows explorer type \\10.0.1.1

You should now have access to the hard disk in the TC..

If you don't please ask a friend with a Mac Laptop to visit.. or an iphone or an ipad.. use the utility on any of these to reconfigure your TC.

Please once you get your files back.. do not use network drives like TC to store files.. plug a USB drive directly into your windows computer.. format it native NTFS and load your files there.. it is so much better when you have network issues.

Can't install Airport Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.