Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade iPhoto for Yosemite?

How do I upgrade iPhoto for Yosemite 10.10.3?

MacBook Air (11-inch Late 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 7:48 AM

8 replies

Apr 19, 2015 8:02 AM in response to timerdman

You ned to upgrade or update iPhoto 9.6.1 with Yosemite 10.10.3, and that update version is only available from the App Store.

It will depend on the iPhoto version you own, if you still can update to a Yosemite compatible version. If you have any version of iPhoto '11, and it is listed at the Appstore among your purchases, you can move the incompatible version to the Trash and reload the appStore Purchases page with ⌘R. Then try, to reinstall from that page.

If you own an older iPhoto version, you cannot update it, you need to buy iPhoto '11, bu apple is no longer selling it. And the retail versions on iLife installer CDs are not compatible with Yosemite.

Jun 5, 2015 7:17 AM in response to lou77h

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Jun 5, 2015 9:06 AM in response to lou77h

There is no chance to upgrade iPhoto 8.1.2 to a version that will run with MacOS X 10.10.3 without the help of Apple Support.

The upgrade to iPhoto 9.6.1 is a purchased upgrade, only sold at the App Store, and Apple stopped selling iPhoto. You cannot buy it from third-party vendors.

You can migrate your iPhoto Library to Photos or revert to the last MAcOS X version you used. You would need a full Time Machine backup from before the upgrade. OS X Yosemite: Revert to a previous OS X version

How do I upgrade iPhoto for Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.