Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new iMac (no built in drive) but none of my three Superdrives work with it

Apple is saying that a Superdrive works with driverless iMacs no problems - just plug it in. Well, I have three new Superdrives and not one of them works with my new iMac (Yosemite), they do not even appear on the desktop.

Does anyone have a Superdrive which connects to an iMac and works? E.g. can you play DVDs on it? Or the icon appears on the desktop when you connect it?

I am starting to suspect that there is a serious problem with connecting S-drives to driverless iMacs but Apple is keeping quiet about it.

And yes, I have been through all the support, forums etc and still no result.

If you want to tweet me about it my handle is Sparky249. I am going to start tweeting that Apple are lying about the superdrives and iMacs.

Tosh

iMac27" MacBook13" iPhone3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Mix of Macs and PCs

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 5:01 PM

Hello, If you are dealing with one of the really thin iMac's that have no superdrive, then the superdrive icon should not appear on the desktop when you plug it in, but when you put in a disk (CD, DVD, etc.) that should appear. If you go into disk utility, and look at superdrive, that should be clickable and not grayed out when you have it plugged in. If this does not show up in disk utility, go to Apple, and ask to speak to their supervisor, speaking to a customer service agent is like talking to a potato, nothing gets done. Good Luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2015 5:01 PM in response to Old Sparky

Hello, If you are dealing with one of the really thin iMac's that have no superdrive, then the superdrive icon should not appear on the desktop when you plug it in, but when you put in a disk (CD, DVD, etc.) that should appear. If you go into disk utility, and look at superdrive, that should be clickable and not grayed out when you have it plugged in. If this does not show up in disk utility, go to Apple, and ask to speak to their supervisor, speaking to a customer service agent is like talking to a potato, nothing gets done. Good Luck!

I have a new iMac (no built in drive) but none of my three Superdrives work with it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.