Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a user account be located on a non-boot partition?

Expecting the simple answer will be no, but just wanted to check:

I have an encrypted boot partition on my internal drive, and a non-encrypted data only partition, primarily photos and music that does not need to be secured.

Can I move a guest user account, that really has no reason to require encryption, to the non-boot partition?

MBP running 10.9.5

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 10:36 AM

4 replies

Apr 19, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Kappy

It is not the Safari-only 'guest' built into the system--it was a configuration I developed for a visiting friend who needed to use a little more than what standard 'guest' is limited to, but who also does not need access to many programs or to the data on the encrypted startup partition. I'd like this account to have access to Safari, word, excel, preview, firefox, DVD player, maybe one or two other things, without admin rights.

Apr 19, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Donot Haveone

Copy the /Users/guestuser_account) to your external drive. I suggest you first create a Users folder and put the copy into that folder. Open Users & Groups preferences and click on the lock icon to authenticate. Select this guest account then CTRL- or RIGHT-click and select Advanced Options from the context menu.

In the window that opens you will find a line labeled Home directory: with a Choose button on the right:

User uploaded file

Click on the Choose button to open a File Open dialog. Navigate to the guest folder you copied over to the data drive. Select the folder and click on the Open button. This will return you to the above dialog. Click on the OK button. You may be requested to restart your computer immediately.

From this point on that account will be loaded from the new location, so you may remove the account from your encrypted disk. Test first.

Can a user account be located on a non-boot partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.