Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions regarding MacBook Air warranty

I have decided to purchase a MacBook Air. I have a few questions regarding the 1 year warranty.

1. Do I need to purchase the MacBook from authorized dealers or resellers to avail warranty? I may buy a brand new one from ebay India. Will then I get the benefits of the 1 year warranty?

2. When does the warranty of MacBook start? Will it start on the date the item is purchased or from the day the MacBook is opened and connected to the internet?

3. Will I be needing to register my MacBook through any online form using its serial number to get benefits of the warranty?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 12:04 PM

You might want to start with the following Web page -->

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/

If you purchase an Apple device from eBay India, it is certainly going to be a used device and not eligible for warranty. To obtain a warranty for anything, you are always best served by purchasing from an authorized seller. Purchasing from an authorized seller will mean that the purchase of your device is registered and noted by Apple. Following that, you would, in the future, be able to check the warranty status of the device online.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 12:04 PM in response to sujay85

You might want to start with the following Web page -->

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/

If you purchase an Apple device from eBay India, it is certainly going to be a used device and not eligible for warranty. To obtain a warranty for anything, you are always best served by purchasing from an authorized seller. Purchasing from an authorized seller will mean that the purchase of your device is registered and noted by Apple. Following that, you would, in the future, be able to check the warranty status of the device online.

Apr 19, 2015 11:07 AM in response to OldGnome

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 🙂

I always exercise caution while purchasing from ebay India, as there are reports of fraud. But the seller I choose has a record of sending unused items, but I am unsure if he is an authorized dealer. In case someone purchases an unused item from a non-authorized dealer, won't he get warranty benefits? From the link you shared, I found that, "Before receiving warranty service, Apple or its agents may require that you furnish proof of purchase details" and that Apple warranty is "for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser". So would that be a problem?

My question is not limited to ebay India, but also for purchases from Amazon India, Infibeam India etc. where I am not certain about Apple authorization.

Apr 19, 2015 12:56 PM in response to OldGnome

Exactly, that's why I prefer to ask and search every-time I purchase such digital products. Apple don't seem to have an official toll free number or service email, however I have emailed in their registered office in Bangalore, India.

I have just sent emails to the retailers. Amazon confirmed that it will be available. I am waiting for the replies from Infibeam and eBay.

Questions regarding MacBook Air warranty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.