Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 stuck in recovery won't recognize itunes

I reset my iPhone 4 and it is stuck in recovery mode. It just has a picture of the USB cable and iTunes but it will not connect to the latest version of iTunes. I am trying all this on my Windows 8 machine. I have reinstalled iTunes and have been trying to troubleshoot it but nothing seems to b working. How can I get past this to use this phone as an ipod.

iPhone 4

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 9:48 AM

4 replies

May 12, 2015 9:50 AM in response to MJJ2475

I encountered the same problem today: my iPhone 4 suddenly stuck on "Connect to iTunes" screen and iTunes did not recognize my iPhone 4 when I plugged in via USB (i.e. I can't update or restore my iPhone 4, and I can't enter the DFU mode). When I pressed the sleep and home button, trying to reset it, I can't as the "Connect to iTunes" screen kept popping up.

After I did some research on line and tried many ways, I finally found something that fixed my problems:

1. check your computer to make sure that you have "Apple Mobile Device support" (Control Panel -> check the "Uninstall a program")

2. Disconnect your iPhone from your computer and close iTunes

3. Go to "Apply Mobile Device Support" --> "Stop" it and then "Start" it again.

4. Re-start iTunes and connect the iPhone 4 to the computer

5. Select "Restore" --> and my computer showed a screen in the line of checking Windows on installing "Apple Mobile Device Support" USB (I can't remember the exact words, but it's re-activating your "Apple Mobile Device Support")

6. Once "Apple Mobile Device Support" is re-installed, the "Connect to iTunes" screen went away and the iPhone is being restored to its factory setting

7. Let it run through the course, and you will be asked to re-log into iTunes (where you can backup all your files).

8. Backup your phone and it should solve the problems.

May 12, 2015 10:10 AM in response to MJJ2475

The posted comment from 'diver_hw' did post one of the many different troubleshooting options, for this particular issue. Which actually is the 1st and best one to try first.

-

If what above is posted and does not resolve the issue with not being seen in iTunes, honestly the next best step I recommend which will let you know if able to restore the device or not, if can locate a different computer, if needed download iTunes. Turn the iphone off, have the cord in the computer no the device. Hold the home button connect to the cord, do not let go until either 'on the computer screen with itunes open' you get a prompt that reads device in recovery mode restore OR get the same Apple Mobile device message.

If you get the same Apple Mobile device message, honestly full unit replacement may be required.

Keep in mind if warranty has expired, will not be covered by warranty

Otherwise still got warranty, great will be covered

[As long as no accidental damage etc are found]

iphone 4 stuck in recovery won't recognize itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.