Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does apple OS X or microsoft windows 8.1 control fan regulation in boot camp?

Using an Early 2015 Retina Macbook Pro (rMBP). I'm concerned about overheating while gaming in boot camp running Windows 8.1. Searching several forums for answers around safe cpu temperatures for macbook pro reveal a general consensus of "it's fine, trust the apple (and intel) engineers that your computer will run fans when it needs to and the cpu will shut down if it reaches an unsafe temperature."

My question is, does the apple SMC control the fan logic while in boot camp running windows, or are the parameters for regulating the fans and cooling determined by windows drivers?

Also, using Speccy in boot camp and Temperature Gauge in OS X, my cpu core temp is getting up to 108 + celsius. I'm guessing this is because these programs don't effectively decode the temperature sensors, as the CPU is supposed to shut itself down at 105C.

Early 2015 Macbook Pro 13", i5-5287U, Iris 6100, OS X 10.10.3, Windows 8.1

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 8:57 AM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2015 9:13 AM in response to fjigsdslijgsdlkj

I have a boot-camped iMac running Win7/64 Home Premium in a 160GB partition. With the older version of Boot Camp, I can use SMC Fan Control to set a higher fans speed while in the Mac OS side. After restarting in Win7, the speed setting remains at that setting based on the sounds of the fans. I don't know if this works the same for newer version of BC and Win8.

Remember that no laptop has the internal cooling capacity of a desktop computer--no room for big effective fans or generous airflow paths. That is why I game on the iMac and not on my 13-inch non-retina MBP (mid-2012). You might try backing off on the games' video and sounds settings to see it that takes off some of the stress.

Apr 19, 2015 10:41 AM in response to fjigsdslijgsdlkj

fjigsdslijgsdlkj wrote:

My question is, does the apple SMC control the fan logic while in boot camp running windows, or are the parameters for regulating the fans and cooling determined by windows drivers?

The OS talks to drivers which talk to firmware which talk to hardware, irrespective of any OS on a Mac. Windows is not as 'cool' as OS X, and always runs at higher temps. All Mac laptops and many desktops use the 'M' GPUs, which are mobile GPUs. You should consider a MacPro or iMac for gaming.

Does apple OS X or microsoft windows 8.1 control fan regulation in boot camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.