Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best 2015 AirPrint-capable monochrome laser printer(name brand, model) for flawless install and Wi-Fi connectivity?

I currently use an HP LaserJet P1102w monochrome printer purchased in October, 2012. Cannot print from mobile devices because HP no longer supports the drivers needed for this. Instead, I must use their "HP app" to print from my iPhone 6. I can, however, printer wirelessly via AirPrint from my MacBook Air(Oct., 2012). Please recommend (name brand/model) an AirPrint monochrome printer that installs flawlessly and works with Wi-Fi using IOS 8 and OSX (10.9.5 Mavericks). Thanks in advance for your assistance

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), HP LaserJet Pro P1102w AirPrint pri

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 9:17 AM

5 replies

Mar 21, 2017 8:02 PM in response to ron4735

While this is an old thread, want to throw in my 2 cents re: Brother HL-L2340DW.

I love the printer, but have had a LOT of problems/issues with trying to print from an iMac desktop using wireless home network. From reading forums and trying to troubleshoot, I know I am not alone.

Worked find out of box when first purchased about 18-20 months ago, but then got messages that printer was offline and was unable to print from iMac using wireless network. Called Brother support and had pretty bad experience with them: long time on phone with no resolution of problem. Tech told me if I could print test page from printer interface, printer worked fine and he could not help me with wireless problem.

Finally found online Apple help forum with thread with several suggestions. One that seemed to solve problem was to go into settings and "enable" IPV6 on printer. This seemed to solve issue for several months. Prior to that, had spent hours/days trying to fix problem without success. Attempted solutions included uninstall/reinstall of printer, printer driver, firmware updates, checking router settings. And, of course I shut down everything and turned everything back on...many times. Printer diagnostics and router queries showed printer was connected to wireless network, but I still was unable to print from iMac desktop via wireless. Spouse using Windows based computer could print just fine.

After discovering the IPV6 enabling trick, printer worked fine for several months..until today. Again, just stopped working. Again, have tried everything and unable to print from my iMac desktop via wireless network. Have now spent 7 hours today trying to get this to work without success. This time, checked to be sure IPV6 was "enabled" but that has not solved problem as it did before. Very frustrating.

If you hard wire this printer to your desktop, if you are using Windows machine I think it probably works fine. And, it worked flawlessly for me, until it didn't. At minimum wage, $/hour, I have now spent way more time trying to get this printer to work with my iMac than it costs. Will be buying another printer this week that hopefully will work. Given my experience with the HL-L2340DW, and with Brother support, the new printer I buy will not be a Brother.

Oct 15, 2015 7:11 PM in response to ron4735

User uploaded file

I also bought the Brother HL-L2340DW printer

I was looking into buying a laser printer for home use and get rid of my old inkjet clunker. I've always heard good things about Brother and decided to look at their printers. I was originally going to buy the HL-2270DW because it was the cheapest, but I saw that this one as a "newer version". At first I was a bit skeptical because of the initial reviews it had, but when I saw that most issues had to do with setup, I decided to give it a go.

Setup was a breeze to be honest. I used to quick guide to get the toner in and then went straight to the "wireless" setup part. I decided to bypass the included CD altogether and instead downloaded the drivers directly from the website. I am using a MacBook Pro. After mounting the downloaded image the first thing to see is a "Start Here OSX.app" and the rest is pretty straightforward. It gives you the option of setting up the printer with a USB, but I went right ahead with wireless, which is called an "advanced option" (don't let that fool you. It's pretty simple). The application asks that you put the printer into wireless setup (which requires pressing two buttons) and the application will do the rest. For this to work both the computer and the printer need to be in the same wireless network. The application will record your network settings, take the computer off the network, and connect directly to the printer to upload the settings. Once that is done, the application will put both the computer and the printer back in the wireless network and print a confirmation page. That's it.

All in all, it took me about 15 minutes to get the printer out of the box and printing double-sided pages from my iPhone. Once the printer is in the network, AirPrint works flawlessly. There's no need to download anything to print from iPhones or iPads, though I'm sure brother's iPrint app might have a couple more options than plain AirPrint.

I've only printed a couple of pages for now and quality seems great. I printed a research paper to test it out and it looks amazing to me. The small details came out all fine and smooth. I'll hopefully update this after having printed more pages.

Oct 16, 2015 11:35 AM in response to ron4735

There’s a Mac program called Printopia that might save you from spending money on a new printer. It is a System Preference panel that runs on your Mac and acts as a virtual printer for your iOS devices. Obviously your computer has to be on and awake to use it but if your computer is usually awake when you are using your iOS device or generally close by it certainly beats buying a new printer. In addition to letting you print to your printer you can also print a PDF to your computer.

Jan 23, 2016 7:52 AM in response to MoneyGurney

I Have had this printer for 2 years. Worked perfectly via wireless with Windows. AirPrint from 2 iPhones and an iPad never have been able to find an AirPrint printer. Recently got a MacBook Pro and it prints perfectly! I just upgraded to latest printer firmware yesterday. Everything is on my only wifi network and iPhone and iPad internet functions work flawlessly. I was prepared to buy another printer prior to seeing your post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best 2015 AirPrint-capable monochrome laser printer(name brand, model) for flawless install and Wi-Fi connectivity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.