Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro weird boot problems

Hello!

I have a macbook Pro (late 2012) with OS X Yosemite (latest update) and I have some weird stuff going on in it...

2 days ago, I was using normally it, as I use it for work, when it suddenly freezes (never happened before). when i turn it on again, a empty symbol shows instead of the grey apple until i turn it off.

User uploaded file

then, when i opened the recovery mode to see if my HD was damaged or something, it just do not shows my HDD at all to verify for integrity. I trun it off and let it be.

After several hours later, i decided to try to boot it again, and, for my surprise, it boots normally and all my files are normal. But after 10-15 minutes backing up all my important files to cloud services, it begins to be really slow. The spinning disk is shown even when i tried to close a finder window, move simple pages files or even to open the top menu to shut it down. The weird part is going even crazier: when i put a freezing gel (a gel packet that freezes and thaw without water is involved) under the macbook, the slowness is off and it works almost at normal speed. when the freezing effect is off, the slowleness is back

All this parts repeats very often.. sometimes the empty symbol appears when booting, sometimes it boots normally and after several minutes it becomes really slow. I tried to diagnose if a hardware problem was involved (pressing "D" after pushing the power button), but no problems were found at all.

what is going on? do you guys even had this? I hope it´s not the logic board!

(Sorry for my bad english)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), late 2011

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 9:34 AM

3 replies

Apr 19, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Dantependragon

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Macbook Pro weird boot problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.