Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't figure out why my ipad is saying it's full but I have just purchased storage on the cloud

Not sure what I am doing wrong here. I am not able to take pic or vids on ipad as it's saying it's full but I have purchased storage on the cloud and set it up as directed on the website

Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do please

Thanks

iPad Air

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 11:16 AM

10 replies

Apr 19, 2015 11:25 AM in response to SheltieFeather

iCloud storage and the storage on your iPad are physically separate things. Your iPad has whatever storage you purchased it with (16, 32, 64, 128GB) and cannot be expanded. iCloud storage is storage that lives on Apple's remote system and which you can upload data to, or download data from, via an internet link.

If your device is giving you a warning it is full, then you will have to delete content to recover useable storage space on that device. You can connect your iPad to your computer and transfer pictures to your photo storage application (iPhoto if using a Mac) and then delete them from the iPad.

Apr 19, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am aware that they are separate but am now at the point where I cannot figure out how to transfer all the images and videos from my ipad and iphone on to the cloud. Is this not possible as that is what I though it was for?

So are you saying I have to physically move it, I thought it did it automatically and you would then have freed up space on the device

I bought apple products for ease but it is confusing me further the more I try to get anything done!

Thanks

Apr 19, 2015 12:19 PM in response to SheltieFeather

I don't mean to confuse the issuse any further, but I think that Michael is assuming that you are using iCloud Photo Library. If you aren't, you need to clarify a little more. If you are still only using the Photos App with Photostream, then you have to move the photos to your computer by importing them using the cable.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

Apr 19, 2015 12:48 PM in response to SheltieFeather

Thanks. I am confused. Will ask my husband to have a look at it I think as this is too frustrating for words. I have no idea which app I am using. I just assumed when you buy cloud storage your images and vids are automatically uploaded to the cloud to free up space on the device! silly me, I should have looked into it further!

Kind rgs

Apr 19, 2015 1:10 PM in response to SheltieFeather

An easy check. Go into the settings on your iPad, and under your iCloud account, check the setting for "photos". If there is a setting for "my photo stream" and it is on, then you are using Photo Stream - My Photo Stream FAQ - Apple Support

Note from that FAQ that Photo Stream never used any of your personal iCloud storage anyway, so buying more personal storage does not increase space for photo stream. Photo stream is a system intended for synchronization of images across multiple devices and was never intended to be used as permanent storage or backup. It is a temporary parking place for images to allow for them to be shared across multiple devices.

With iOS 8.3 and OS X 10.10.3, there is a new service, iCloud Photo Library which actually IS online storage of your photo's - all your photo's. It does use space in your personal iCloud account. Since the default free storage is only 5GB and is used for your iCloud mail, backups, synchronized files and data, the default setting for iCloud Photo Library is to keep all photo's on the device as they are, in order not to fill up your free iCloud storage. If you purchase additional storage and want to remove photos from an iDevice or computer, then you need to change the settings on the device to clear out space once it has uploaded images to your iCloud account.

If, in your iPad's settings, general, about just look at the "version" line. If it is not showing 8.3, then you cannot possibly be using iCloud Photo Library and must be using Photo Stream. Until you upgrade to iOS 8.3 you would not even have the option to use iCloud Photo Library as it is a new service, introduced with iOS 8.3.

If you are running iOS 8.3, under your iCloud account settings, under "Photos" you will have three settings:

1. iCloud Photo Library - enable this to use your personal iCloud account storage for cloud storage of your photo library

2. My Photo Stream - enable this to synchronize photo's across all your devices that share the same iCloud account. This does NOT use any of your personal iCloud account's storage. Images will be automatically deleted from your stream after 30 days.

3. iCloud Photo Sharing - allows you to create albums which can be shared (viewed) with others.

Apr 19, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Michael Black

Thanks very much! this gives me a way of checking now.

I have an ipad air so hoping it will support the right IOS to use Photo Library as I have small children and take ALOT of photos! I don't want the hassle of having to physically move them to my laptop everytime the ipad fills up. For some reason my laptop doesn't recognise my ipad or iphone either. Any suggestions? do I need Itunes on my laptop to be able to get files from my ipad onto my laptop

:O

Apr 19, 2015 1:41 PM in response to SheltieFeather

The original iPad Air can run iOS 8.3 so that will not be an issue if you are not already upgraded to that version. You can update over the air using WiFi by going to Settings>General>Software Update if you do need to update your iPad.

IF you have iTunes on your laptop and it isn't recognizing your devices, take a look here.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

I can't figure out why my ipad is saying it's full but I have just purchased storage on the cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.