Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme/Express with other routers

Can Airport Extreme/Express be used with another wireless router like ASUS RT-N56U?

And will it support multiple hard drives connected to it? I have 2 hard drives I want to access through the network. One of them is my time machine drive.

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 8:48 PM

Can Airport Extreme/Express be used with another wireless router like ASUS RT-N56U?

Yes, if the AirPort router connects to the other router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection.

No, otherwise.

The one exception here would be if you only want to use the AirPort Express for AirPlay. In most cases, it will connect to the third party wireless network.....but....it will not repeat the wireless signal from a third party router.

And will it support multiple hard drives connected to it?

The AirPort Express will not support a USB hard drive at all.

The AirPort Extreme will support multiple USB hard drives if you use a powered USB hub, and the drives are formatted for Mac in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 8:48 PM in response to merineth

Yes, if the AirPort router connects to the other router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection.

No, otherwise.

The one exception here would be if you only want to use the AirPort Express for AirPlay. In most cases, it will connect to the third party wireless network.....but....it will not repeat the wireless signal from a third party router.

And will it support multiple hard drives connected to it?

The AirPort Express will not support a USB hard drive at all.

The AirPort Extreme will support multiple USB hard drives if you use a powered USB hub, and the drives are formatted for Mac in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Airport Extreme/Express with other routers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.