Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help asap - iphone 5 slows down, freezes and restarts!

Hi everyone,

i hope I can get a response as soon as possible as I really need my phone over the next few days! ive been using my phone all day as normal, I haven't dropped it nor have I spilt any liquid on it. I thought it was completely fine until my phone started acting up. I have a passcode so when I swipe the screen, the keypad for the passcode isn't responding and then if I try to swipe back it just freezes completely! My lock button hasn't been working for ages so I have to use assistive touch and if I try to restart my phone myself it doesn't work so I have to wait a minute or two until it restarts by itself. Once it restarts, I try to unlock my phone again but the same thing just keeps happening! It only freezes when I try to unlock it because I can access the calculator and take pictures fine. At the moment it's on 25% - should I let it die? Also, i tried to connect it to my Mac to try restore it but then unusually it asks me to grant my computer access to the phone by responding on my phone but nothing comes up and when I try to prompt my phone it just freezes! Is there any Way I can solve this problem? Does anyone else have this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 11:41 AM

1 reply

Apr 22, 2015 10:42 AM in response to ldghz

Hi ldghz,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are having a hard time getting past the lock screen on your iPhone. Because the Sleep/Wake button on your iPhone is no longer working, you will not be able to reset it. To troubleshoot, I would recommend placing your iPhone in recovery mode manually and performing an update. This will reinstall the operating system without erasing any of your data.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 mintues, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

Best regards,

Joe

Need help asap - iphone 5 slows down, freezes and restarts!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.