Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ver, 10.2 - Many Fx and transitions stopped working in secondary Storylines???

Many effects and transitions stopped working in secondary storylines after upgrading to 10.2. This is a major blow to my production. They all work fine still in the primary storyline. What happened? Will it be fixed and how soon? Is there a work around? I use a lot of effects to bring in titles etc on top of video in the primary storyline.

Final Cut Pro X, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 11:05 AM

12 replies

Apr 19, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am having a similar problem but not in secondary stories line (which I typically don't use). In main timeline:

I have been using FCP since early 7, then used 10.0 which I like a lot (edits sound; renders on the fly, though some aspects are a bit dumbed down).

I recently bought a new, maxed out Macbook Pro, 15 inch Ret., 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 2.8 gHz, which runs Yosemite, so I have to run 10.1.3 or .4.

Great. It's really fast, as I produce, shoot, and edit a lot of video, commercials, and online TV shows. A lot.

Recently I discovered a really disturbing, bizarre thing: clips - generally lower thirds or cutaways on layers above my timeline, are disappearing. I thought I was imagining it, but after a client noticed 1 problem with a file and I corrected it, then she noticed 3 others which were not there before, I know it's a real issue.

It's happening a lot and there seems to be no rhyme or reason - I spent hours, I mean hours, fixing things, then hunting down the next problem. Am considering going back to my old Macbook Pro running 10.0, which runs at a snails pace compared to the new system.

I have tried moving Events and Projects to new Libraries. Haven't tried working as a new Admin yet, but I shouldn't have to.

If there's a problem, I understand, just give me a workaround. This is not predictible and tells me there's an inherent instability going on.

I'm down to importing my exported files and knitting them together just so I get segments I know are ok and which aren't going to change (since they are single mp4's). Ugh!

Help!

Dave

Apr 19, 2015 8:45 PM in response to gruvhip

I typically use effects to bring in video boxes or graphic elements or effect an entire video clip and use key frames to adjust the effect in a secondary storyline over the primary which could even be a simple background. Most of the effects that no longer work in the secondary storyline are Volumetrix and Lucas arts effects; anything that glows. Here is an example of what I normally do that I can no longer accomplish. https://vimeo.com/124455009 Why? this project played perfect, I upgrade to 10.2 and now no longer works.

Apr 20, 2015 7:05 AM in response to gruvhip

The FX plug ins work in the primary storyline and I have checked with the makers of the plugin. They say it is something buggy with the new FCPX. All I know is my life has turned into a big headache because of this. The new offerings in 10.2 prompted me to upgrade. I did not think things that have always worked would go away. If I could only go back to the earlier version.

Apr 20, 2015 8:05 AM in response to gruvhip

One workaround is to rearrange things so the background is connected below the primary and the foreground is in the primary.

As another workaround, you can try making these into compound clips.

Assuming you are right, and this is a bug related to secondary storylines, this may work, since the secondary will now be the primary storyline inside the compound clip (I am still more inclined to believe that this is caused by some change in the FxPlug framework, and will need an update from the plugin vendors to resolve completely)

edit: I have just installed the current version of FxFactory and experimented with the trial version of Volumetrix on my mac; I can't see any of the effects when applied to the timeline, either to the primary or a secondary storyline. It does preview when skimming over the effects browser, but that is all I could get.

ver, 10.2 - Many Fx and transitions stopped working in secondary Storylines???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.