Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express over ethernet blocks my wifi

Hi.

I have a wifi network via a modem from my ISP and I want to extend it with an Airport Express.

When I connect it over Ethernet, I can configure it to extend the network, but despite having a strong connection (i.e. 4 bars on my MBA, iPhone, etc.), I can't access the internet. There's just no access.

If anyone has any ideas about how I can fix this, I'd be extremely grateful!

Thanks

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 12:05 PM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2015 12:09 PM in response to staticmouse69

Make sure that the AirPort Express is configured with exactly the same wireless network name, exact same wireless security, and same password as your main router.

In addition, it is critical that the AirPort Express be configured to operate in Bridge Mode. Otherwise, everything else might be correct, but the network will not operate correctly.

All things considered, it will probably be easier to start over again from scratch and use the setup "wizard" to configure the Express. Things will normally be almost automatic when you do it this way.

Apr 26, 2015 6:18 AM in response to staticmouse69

then when I try to switch it to extending

That is not the correct setting to use.

"Extending" is only used when an AirPort connects using a wireless connection to another AirPort router.

When the AirPort connects using Ethernet, you have to use the "Create a wireless network" setting.

It might be a lot easier if you simply start all over again and let the configuration "wizard" do most of the work for you. All that you really have to do is name the network, name the Express, enter the password and click Next. Everything else is handled by the configuration utility.

Post back if you are not sure how to do this.

Airport express over ethernet blocks my wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.