Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Updating Thumbnails' upon iPhoto opening, but it freezes and never completes! Help!

'Updating Thumbnails' upon iPhoto opening, but it freezes and never completes! Help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 12:17 PM

3 replies

Apr 19, 2015 12:22 PM in response to jbmd58

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 10 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Apr 23, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks...

iPhoto 9.4.3

OsX 10.8.5

Details: For about the last month or two, when I open iPhoto, a window opens stating 'Updating Thumbnails', and a progress bar starts to mauve across the window, then stops 3/4 way across. A pinwheel is visible, and that's all that happens. It never completes, and iPhoto never opens.

-To my knowledge, I've not installed anything immediately prior to that. A few months ago, I installed 'Memory Clean', but iPhoto was working after that installation.

-No other steps to solve the problem; just came here to the Community looking for assistance.

-Nothing unusual about my setup as far as I can say, although I do use Parallels for Mac ever since I bought the MacBook, but I've never had problems with that causing conflicts before. I only rarely use Parallels as I have to access PC-side stuff occasionally for other reasons.

Thanks again...

Jim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.