Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Several issues with third party plugins (Among which Neat Video RN ...)

Since last version of FCPX I have all black clips instead of rendered ones when applying Neat Video Reduce Noise plugin,

and FCPX crashes when I load or use Pixel Film Studio Prolumetric. Does anyone else meet the same pleasure?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 32GB - SSD

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 2:24 PM

12 replies

Apr 19, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Bring Me More Ice

I've found this on Neat Video Website — http://www.neatvideo.com/bugs.html:

"FCP X 10.2: A new problem (possibly a bug in FCP X) related to use of Neat Video along side with transitions between clips has been introduced by Apple in FCP X 10.2. This problem shows up when the frame rate of the project is different than the frame rate of the clips involved.

For example, if a cross-dissolve connects two clips while instances of Neat Video are applied to each of those clips and their frame rate is different than the frame rate of the project, then the transition area may render incorrectly. Also, a part of the second clip may even go black, apparently because FCP X serves incorrect frames to that instance of the filter in such circumstances."

Indeed, I always shoot 50 fps clips and use 25 fps projects, which is the best way to have on demand nice slowmo ... until 10.2 ...

Apr 20, 2015 7:41 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, I'm sorry and new to this forum. Do you work for Apple? I would assume not, as your answers on this thread have not been helpful in the slightest.

I and many other professionals have deadlines to meet and this update to FCPX, which by the way was not an option, I opened my computer one morning and there is was. Does not work well any 3rd party plugins. Plugin's we need as FCPX does not have these features. It can not be a NEATVIDEO problem as some clips work and some show black. This is obviously something in the background on FCPX 10.2. I also have several other plugins that will not work in this new version (10.2). This is an FCPX problem and I would expect something more concrete from Apple then "hopefully they will find a way".

I can not wait for FCPX to fix this nor go back and forth on who's fault it is. Can you please show me where I can download version 10.1.4 so I can work on with my projects without these issues.

Thank you,

John

Apr 20, 2015 7:59 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you for this.

But can you update on what apple are doing about this? And when a fix will be in place? As you can see there are many issues with this update. Shouldn't all this is been done in beta? And users warned that certain 3rd party plugins will no longer work? I'm truly amazed that libraries from any version of FCPX prior 10.2 won't work in this new version. You are given a choice to update the library or not but you must be updated to open in FCPX 10.2. And by doing so will render certain plugins useless. It's FCP7 to FCPX all over again.

As you can tell I'm somewhat frustrated by this update.

Apr 22, 2015 5:19 AM in response to Bring Me More Ice

On top of that, I have encountered several FCPX crashes with Color Finale too (just by opening the project).

And a lot of corrupted thumbnails render while re-importing.

So I finally had to switch back to 10.1.4 (now everything is back to normal, even under the OSX 10.10.3 asked update).

If you have to go down this drill as well, don't forget to make a safe and verbose/extended XML export of your converted-urgent projects before uninstalling 10.2 (since it looks like a significant number of my libraries backups have been updated to 10.2 too).

Some of the big issues I've met might be correlated with my peculiar FCP workflow (which, I have to stress this, had never known a problem before):

— I work with direct import of XAVC-S files mainly

— my original files are not imported into the libraries/local HD but processed over thunderbolt (BlackMagic MultiDock II)

— my project are always made of 50fps clips on 25fps timeline

— I'm under AMD Radeon R9 M295X (iMac 5k)

May the force be with you.

Apr 23, 2015 4:17 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

And taking it a step further, it's also a good idea to avoid manually updating anything mid-project.

You are absolutely right Russ.

I've mistakenly updated FCPX thanks to this nasty little "update all" App Store button I've mechanically reached under the wrong user account, in the middle of a long night. My bad. (Who could be stupid enough to update its Software, on purpose, stuck in the middle of a huge project with approaching deadlines? Nobody I've ever heard of... except me).

Nonetheless Apple update/upgrade soft-warning policy on its pro software is a bit bold, to say the less,

especially since its QA and beta-testing processes seem pretty weak these days.

In my opinion, an update should never manipulate the user data in a destructive way but rather propose to work on a copy of it (as I've explained on another post: part of your libraries backups seem to have been upgraded as well with this update. Regarding the size of video files and complexity of video projects, the number of hard-drives involved, backups is not always as simple as having a time-machine running on the background even though we'd like to).

Several issues with third party plugins (Among which Neat Video RN ...)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.