Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine does not run, only prepairs, after 10.10.3

After upgrading to 10.10.3, my time machine is only prepairing backup but doesn’t run it.

With disk help app, controled time machines old data on my time capsule (several hours) result all OK.

What is going wrong ??

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 11:55 AM

8 replies

Apr 19, 2015 12:05 PM in response to jef verbecke

How long has the "Preparing" message been appearing? After a major operating system update (Like 10.10.3), it is not unusual for "Preparing" to take 30-60 minutes or longer depending on how much data there is to be backed up and how much data that you already have on the Time Capsule. This assumes that your Mac is connected to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet connection.

With a wireless connection, this may take 3-4 times longer.

Time Machine has to look at everything and decide how best to proceed before it will actually start to back up again.

In some cases with an new update, Time Machine is fooled into thinking that you have a new Mac, so it will take even longer for Time Machine to try to sort things out before a backup will begin.

With disk help app, controled time machines old data on my time capsule (several hours) result all OK

Sorry, not sure what this means. Are you perhaps indicating that you ran a Verify Disk operation here?

time machine does not run, only prepairs, after 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.