Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prints not same as on computer

I recently purchased a small-in-one Epson computer to use with my new iMac. However, it seems the image on the computer prints out a little duller than on the screen. When I copy directly from the printer, photos seem to be the same. I've tried every setting I can think of, including setting Photo to use the application's colour settings, not the printer. Epson is sending me a new printer, but now I'm not so sure that's the issue. Should the images appear as rich in print as on my screen? The colours are very close.

Any thoughts out there?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 2:00 PM

7 replies

Apr 19, 2015 2:37 PM in response to budfromportage

The images on your screen are deceiving as they are in extremely high resolution which a consumer printer simply cannot reproduce (unless you spend the money for a true photo printer). Having said that, I gave up on my last (supposedly best) Epson printer less than a year after I got it (and after many years of nothing but Epson printers) because the printing and scanning capabilities had descended into unacceptable lack of quality. They appear to have discontinued high quality photo printing (and scanning which is important to me) in their consumer line and are concentrating on their Workforce line for home office use.

Apr 19, 2015 4:27 PM in response to budfromportage

Matching screen and prints has always been somewhat of a challenge. Sadly the problem has become worse because displays have improved and cheap printers have flooded the market.

For example: my old, slow, "ink hog" 2006 Epson CX4200 still does a much better job than our new Epson printer. I really only "maintain" the CX4200, because the wife still likes to put photo's albums.

When I say "ink hog" I mean that and while it has larger ink cartridges, I can only find on-line.

When I say "maintain" I mean that, I periodically have to open it up to clean the excess ink out of it.

Apr 19, 2015 6:01 PM in response to budfromportage

That made me wonder if there is something happening between the printer and the Mac.

As I said, your iMac's display will show colors that pop - they are optimized for the display, not printing. You would have to calibrate your color profile to get any other results.

As well, Epsons will have a slight blue tint to images you print/scan, whereas Canons will be a tiny bit towards reds (a guy from Canon told me that). My last - and most excellent - Epson printer was an Artisan 810: superb color reproduction as it was optimized for photos. Unfortunately, it bit the dust and I've tried two different models since, neither of which was acceptable (printing docs fine - scanning photos totally unacceptable). I just bought a Canon MG7520 and, although not as good as the Epspn 810, it is much better than the other two Epsons.

Prints not same as on computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.