Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to keep videos from playing when i read an article. I do not want them to download at all.

How can I keep videos from downloading on my mac air when all I'd like to do is read the accompanying article? I am able to do this on my iPhone, but I'd like to have this work on my mac.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 1:12 PM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2015 1:16 PM in response to gwendolyn49

Please could you be a bit more specific.

Is it advertising you are wishing to avoid? If so there are 3rd party extensions available such as "AddBlock"... some argue this slows down your computer however and many sites will penalise its use as they will loose revenue.

If it is "pop up" type videos you are looking to avoid you can block this in Safari > Preferences > Security > Block pop-up windows

Hope this helps

Apr 22, 2015 12:12 PM in response to gwendolyn49

thank you, Lewis, for trying to help. It's not advertising that I'm trying to avoid as I am able to do that with the "reader view" up in the search bar. If I go straight to the "reader view" to read the article, the video that accompanies the article starts playing mid-way through the reading. I have to wait for the video to download, then stop it, then finally read the article. It is SO annoying. We are also limited on our data so I try not to watch any videos that I'm not interested in.

I'm not sure I've seen a "pop-up" type video, although I can view a running news video, for example, to the right when I'm reading CNN on the web. I wonder if this is using my data, as well? Thanks for any help!

how to keep videos from playing when i read an article. I do not want them to download at all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.