Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore iTunes Library from a recent time machine backup

I have to make room on my internal HD on my iMac. The HD is a 1TB and I have 391GB of music and video etc that are in my iTunes Library. So I decided to move it to a new 5TB external HD which I formatted with 2 partitions. One partition 2.5TB will be my new Time Machine Backups and the other 2.5TB for iTunes Library so I never have to worry about this again. Using the knowledge I gained (?) from a YouTube video I copied my iTunes folder over to the new partition on the new HD. However, there was no library .itl file. So I found an old one but found I am missing playlists and content from iTunes. So I was thinking maybe the easiest way was to do an iTunes restore from Time Machine.

I am hoping that someone can guide me through this as I have already botched things up and want to do it properly this time.

Thanks

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 3.06 GHz C2D 8gb Ram NVidiaGT130

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 2:02 PM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2015 9:17 PM in response to CynicChick

One partition 2.5TB will be my new Time Machine Backups and the other 2.5TB for iTunes Library so I never have to worry about this again.

Your worry now is what will you do when the single hard drive containing both your library and its backup makes a screeching sound one day and is toast, or get stolen?

from a YouTube video

Uh-oh, those unspecific and sometimes incorrect YouTube videos. I dislike those things. I watched one once and some kid droned on in a barely audible monotone for about 5 minutes to show how to do something to which I could have typed instructions in two sentences.

Downloading (using iOS or computer) past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

How to restore iTunes Library from a recent time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.