Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had MacKeeper & Norton & Bitdefender on my iMac - I'm still having problems

I I was told by an Apple technician to never install or even download MacKeeper - too late.- I've removed the software but after reading the comments here, I may have been duped into insuring more probllems into my iMac. I'm running the latest Yosemitie but Im getting odd problems - one is that I can't use Chrome Voice to make international calls - as it always has worked until recently. I was also told to remove JavaScript - which i did - but Chrome is a mess - formatting is gone. I'm also having problems with Airdrop - my iMac can't be seen by my iPhone not iPad.

The Apple Tech told me to get a free utiility program that sounded like "keepmymacsafe.com" - but I forgot the actual name - can you recommend security and maintenance software that you trust is not secretly more malicious malware? And what should I do about Adobe Flash Player and JavaScript?

Any help greatly appreciated,

jim

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 32 GB - Fusion Drive

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 12:34 PM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Cerebrogasm

Use free AdwareMedic from Safemac to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit AdwareMedic.

You can enable JavaScript. That may take care of the formatting problem browser is having.

Safari > Preferences > Security > Web content:

Remove Norton

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080427024142EN_En dUserProfile_en_us?q=uninstall+symantec+for+mac

Remove MacKeeper

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

Apr 19, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Cerebrogasm

can you recommend security and maintenance software that you trust is not secretly more malicious malware?

You don't need any software of that kind.

And what should I do about Adobe Flash Player and JavaScript?

You probably mean Java, not JavaScript (which is unrelated.) Both must be kept up to date. You should remove the Oracle Java web plugin if you don't need it.

Otherwise, it's not really clear what your problem is. If Chrome isn't working for you, try Safari.

Apr 22, 2015 4:32 AM in response to Cerebrogasm

Cerebrogasm wrote:

can you recommend security and maintenance software that you trust is not secretly more malicious malware? And what should I do about Adobe Flash Player and JavaScript?

I wrote a little diagnostic program to help show what software is running on your Mac in the background. It isn't security or maintenance software. It just displays a snapshot of your system and highlights any issues that need attention. Download EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck, run it, and paste the results here. EtreCheck is perfectly safe to run, does not ask for your password to install, and is signed with my Apple Developer ID.

Internet scams are at epidemic levels right now, even here on Apple Support Communities. But most 3rd party software is legitimate and perfectly safe. The only time you really need to worry is when software needs an installer and especially when it asks for your password. If it isn't obvious how to uninstall it, you don't want it.

Be careful of overly aggressive marketing. Some companies have literally blanketed certain parts of the internet with ads. Generally it is best to stay away from anyone who uses fear to try to manipulate you.

Disclaimer: Although EtreCheck is free, there are other links on my site that could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

I had MacKeeper & Norton & Bitdefender on my iMac - I'm still having problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.