Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need virus protection running Parallels with Windows 7 programs

Do I need virus protection when running Parallels on my Mac Pro with Windows 7 programs? Parallels came with a virus protection program, but I have not installed it.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.4, Gen 5

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:16 PM

The need for virus protection is the same on a virtual machine as on a physical one.

7 replies

Apr 20, 2015 6:43 AM in response to Richard Bost

Richard Bost wrote:

I'm still kinda new to Apple as far as Mac Pro And appreciate your help.

This really isn't an Apple issue, though. Just to clarify, unless you're a Windows expert, you probably need anti-virus software on the Windows system running within Parallels. However, you do not need, and should not install, anti-virus software on the Mac itself. That would not protect the virtual Windows system, and is not need on the Mac.

Apr 20, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Richard Bost

I USED to run Parallels and VM Fusionware, as my work used Windows. I was never really comfortable with either, and had several issues with each over the years. From what I remember, if your virtual machine got a virus, you could just erase the VM to get rid of the virus, if nothing else worked, and you had a data backup.

I now have an SSD, which makes booting up MUCH quicker, and so have moved to Apple's Bootcamp. As I really don't cruise the net or check email via Windows, my virus exposure is way down on that side of the machine. And I'm still very careful as to what I download thru Windows (normally, just my program and applicable Apple updates). However, with Bootcamp, I can no longer run (or erase) a VM.

I do use AVG (anti virus software), which is free, on Windows, and as far as I can tell, it does its job.

Do I need virus protection running Parallels with Windows 7 programs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.