Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cross Dissolve question

I'm new to FCP and having a **** of a time with transitions, or cross dissolve since that's the only one I've tried so far. I've watched tutorials and seen how they split a clip in two at the scene change, CMD-B, and then simply type CMD-T and there's a cross dissolve between the two clps, working perfectly. When I do that, there's a gray transition box between the two clips but there is no dissolve leading up to or after the split point (They are very different scenes, so I would see if it was working.). It seems I must do some further fiddling to apply the dissolve, but in the tutorials no fiddling is needed. CMD-T applies the default dissolve duration and it works immediately. What obvious thing am I missing?

iMac 24 Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 3:00 PM

12 replies

Apr 19, 2015 4:36 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am being dense, I'm sorry. So how DO you cross dissolve at a shot change?

I want two scenes to blend into each other over the space of a few seconds rather than an abrupt change. If splitting and cross dissolving is not the way to accomplish this, I must be misunderstanding the tutorials. Please point me in the right direction and I think I can work it out. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2015 5:08 PM in response to John Dolan

If you're cutting on a shot change of continuous material, you have to make the cut on the shot change and then ripple back, shorten each side, by at least half a second to make the standard second transition. That creates enough material on each side of the edit point to overlap the material from one shot into the other duration the transition.

Apr 19, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Man. The vids I've seen and FCP instructions just say to put the playhead at the spot the two clips touch, or select the edge of the first clip, then select CMD-T and drag the edges of the transition to adjust duration. As if that's all there is to it, slick and easy. Well, I have too much invested in this app to be discouraged by putting in the work into figuring things out. So I will keep plugging.

Apr 20, 2015 7:38 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you for all your help. I figured it out, no thanks to the FCP help system. A vital step is missing from the instructions: After inserting the cross dissolve between clips, it is necessary to pull the handle in the upper left of the transition to the center point (where the two clips meet). It is helpful to position the playhead there so you see the spot even after starting to drag. Then the dissolve takes effect (and the audio crossfade, as well). I'm not sure why this is not done automatically, to be adjusted by the advanced user if desired.

Such a simple action to make it work, but not in the instructions and perhaps second nature to veteran users.

Apr 20, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'm cutting one clip in two with the blade tool, at the point where one session ends and another one begins. What I just described works, and applies the dissolve whereas just adding the transition alone does nothing. (Fade to black works OK by just adding it, but not cross dissolve.)

I just watched a couple more videos on cross dissolving. Yep, all they do is select the edge of the first clip, right-click and add cross dissolve, and it works. No further steps required unless they want to change duration or position. I don't know how the !@#$% they do that. When I do the same thing ... I see nothing for the reason you posted in your first answer. I must drag the corner of the transition to the center, which appears to shorten each clip and blends them.

I wonder if cutting one clip in half is different than adding two separate clips to the storyline?

I realize my descriptions and wording might be frustrating, even laughable, to a pro user.

Cross Dissolve question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.