Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air tingling

when i rub my fingers across the area next to the track pad, my fingers get a tingling feeling. This only happens sometimes and not all the time, what is this?

There is definitely nothing wrong with my fingers, it's the computer, it feels like it's vibrating a bit and it has nothing to do with the fans either.

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 3:09 PM

1 reply

Jun 23, 2015 9:25 AM in response to yellowdingo

It is your computer configuration. You will feel it when you do not use your 3-prong power cord on your apple power supply.

I have the same situation with my MBA and MBP. The aluminum case on the Mac allows you to feel this small electric current. A plastic computer would isolate you from it. To address it, the power supply has that shiny pin that the power cord or the 2-prong plug slides over. This pin provides a ground circuit to the computer that eliminates this current. When using the 2-prong plug (my favorite for neatness), this pin is isolated, and you will feel the tingle when anything is plugged into your machine. In addition to the apple power supply, it happens with monitors, printers, external drives, USB hubs ... anything that plugs into the wall.

Solution: use your 3-prong power cord on your power supply. It provides the path to ground, needed to prevent the feeling of electricity on the metal case. If you unplug the magsafe plug from the computer, while some peripheral is still plugged in, you will experience that same sensation of electricity.

macbook air tingling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.