Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text inspector does not open

I don't know how to identify the version of my Pages, but it is on a recently purchased MacBook Air.

I need to adjust format, and when I click on the T (text) icon in the book bar, all it does is open a text box at the location of the cursor. How do I open the Text Inspector?

If in the menu I click on View->Inspector, there's one format and one for document setup, but none for text.

MacBook Air, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 1:58 PM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2015 2:39 PM in response to HainesBrown

The information about your Mac is under the Apple menu : About this Mac

The information about every App is under the App Menu. In this case the Pages menu. About Pages

Guessing that you have Pages v5, when you select the text you want to change, the formatting information appears in the sidebar under the Format menu.

The labels of the menus and separate sections of the sidebar all mean what they say.

Peter

Apr 20, 2015 8:48 AM in response to HainesBrown

The equivalent of the previous Pages '09 Text Inspector is found in the View ▸ Inspector ▸ Format Text panel. The T on the Toolbar simply drops a Text box into your document — just like it does in Pages '09, whereas the now opened Format Text panel allows you to change font characteristics, paragraph and character styles, text alignment, line spacing, and apply bullets & lists.

If you are using a Pages '09 manual, it does not apply to Pages v5 which has no PDF manual. Use the Help menu, and choose Pages Help from it.

Apr 21, 2015 8:23 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks VikingOSX

I see that pandoc reads LaTeX, but I don't see any indication that it imports or exports to Page format (whatever that is). The person I'm helping is my wife, and I recommended a MacBook Air for obvious reasons, rather than her old Windows machine. I've not used a word processor since the great old desktop publishing application Describe (for OS/2? 1998?). Since then I've relied on LaTeX. I was shocked by how obscure Pages is. Guidelines never seem to agree. Doing something that should be simple in a desktop publishing environment has unexpected disastrous results because a document is conceived entirely differently. As for LaTeX, the divorce of form and content also makes things very easy (usually).

Text inspector does not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.