Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.5 & Yosemite 10.10.3

I just upgraded to Yosemite for the first time (10.10.3) and when I try to open Aperture it tells me to install the latest version from the App store. But when I go to the App store it says that the 3.6 version is not available. How to I get to Aperture and my photos?

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 3:05 PM

Does Aperture show at AppStore on your Purchases tab?

Then try the following:

• Move the Aperture application to the Trash, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Restart the AppStore and go again to the Purchases tab. Try to download Aperture from that page.

Make sure, you are using the same appleID you used when you originally bought Aperture or updated to 3.5..

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Sheila Goldberg

Does Aperture show at AppStore on your Purchases tab?

Then try the following:

• Move the Aperture application to the Trash, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Restart the AppStore and go again to the Purchases tab. Try to download Aperture from that page.

Make sure, you are using the same appleID you used when you originally bought Aperture or updated to 3.5..

Apr 19, 2015 11:09 PM in response to Sheila Goldberg

Unfortunately, Aperture is no more available for the 10.10.3 update.

However, you can obtain your photos using the new Photos app (is installed as a part of OS X update).

Photos app converts .aplibrary into .photoslibrary files and then opens the whole your photo collection with all the projects, adjustments and so on saved.

Be careful as the Photos app changes extension of the old Aperture library to .migratedaplibrary and I'm not sure if it is still openable with Aperture app.

Apr 20, 2015 2:02 PM in response to bokovm

Be careful as the Photos app changes extension of the old Aperture library to .migratedaplibrary and I'm not sure if it is still openable with Aperture app.

It can be opened with Aperture again, but Sheila needs to update to Aperture 3.6.

If she has any version of Aperture 3, she is entitled to an update to Aperture 3.6, even if Aperture has been bought on CD. The AppStore Support can help, as William Lloyd pointed out. There is a link to the support in the Quick Links pane on the main AppStore page.

Apr 22, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Sheila Goldberg

Yeah, but as soon as you do that you have a crappy app for your photos. Has anyone tried Photos along side Aperture? There is simply no comparison. Photos is a consumer app. Aperture is a pro app. What is WRONG WITH APPLE? Pro Apps are their best apps, period.. and they are trashing a phenomenal product for a piece of junk?

May 3, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Stephen Durrenberger1

I completely agree with Stephen. The Photo tools seem a very poor substitute for all that you can do in Aperture. WHY have Apple made this move?

For the OP, I just restored my Aperture library from the backup. So now I have two versions of the library, one called Aperture_Library.aplibrary, and one called Aperture_Library.migratedaplibrary. Aperture (3.6) is working fine with the restored library. I may play with Photo some other time, but I'm in no hurry.

May 15, 2015 1:20 PM in response to léonie

Thank you L., This worked for me, Yosemite 10.10.3, Aperture 3.6. I was reluctant to update to Yosemite, that changed two days ago, so far I am very happy with it, on my late 2012 MacBook Pro (8GB RAM) it and significant applications like Evernote, BackBlaze, Chrome, Aperture, PS, ... have a much smaller RAM footprint. Roaring Apps provided reassurance on the Apps. I am also using Font: Fira 4.1, a lot easier on the eyes than System,

Best,

Aperture 3.5 & Yosemite 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.