Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login after upgrade to 10.6.8

Hi

I am stuck in a login loop after upgrading from 10.6.4 to 10.6.8, the Login window accepts the password, the screen clears and after a short delay the login window reappears.

Some background info:

this is a 2010 iMac 21.5"

I have replaced a failed drive with a new one, reinstalled 10.6.4 with the install disc that came with the Mac

Did a successful Time Machine restore where the computer would boot and desktop and files were all intact.

A couple of programs complained about the OS needing updating so I used the Update feature to download and install 10.6.8

Now I cannot get past the logon screen.

Any suggestions to get past this screen?

thanks

Bob

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 3:37 PM

8 replies

Apr 20, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately I can't boot from the DVD, in fact none of the startup key options seem to have any effect (almost as though the keyboard isn't being recognised at powerup).

If I boot with the OS disc in the drive and press and hold the C key the disc gets ejected and I'm back to the Logon loop.

I've tried doing this with the original wireless keyboard and a USB keyboard but it makes no difference. Both keyboards work once the Logon Screen appears and I can enter the user password without issue.

Apr 22, 2015 3:23 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

Thanks for your continued help

I borrowed another 10.6.4 DVD and have now managed to install 10.6.4 and update it to 10.6.8 and no longer have the logon loop issue. I've also verified/repaired the disc and repaired the file permissions successfully.

Time Machine has restored the desktop, all the music files are there, Photo's are there and Google Picassa runs, but little else.

Safari complains I have the wrong version of OSX and will not run so I can't browse the net (typing this on my laptop)

iTunes reports it requires 10.7.5 or later as do most other apps I've tried.

Fortunately Finder works, I've run the Software Update and it says I have the latest updates.

If I click on 'App Store', the store opens ok but the only Upgrade option I now see is to Yosemite, if I select that the App Store screen gives a spinning pointer and never does anything, I have to force quit through finder to get out of it.

any suggestions as to what to try next?

thanks

Bob

Apr 22, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

We're about 8 hours out of sync (I'm in the UK)

I skipped a step today and went back to basics (probably a bad move)

Wiped the disk, installed 10.6.4 then upgraded to 10.6.8 but instead of doing the Timemachine restore at this point I downloaded ( 4 hour d/l for me) and installed Yosemite hoping doing a restore from Timemachine would now work with a later version OS.

alas Yosemite doesn't seem to allow restoring from an earlier OS unless I'm missing something.

Am now reaching a stage of despair 😟

Apr 23, 2015 1:10 AM in response to rbutt

Hi Eric

Final update:

After more digging I discovered Migration Assistant, ran it and it has restored all apps,files even the mail works - unbelievably happy 🙂

Just added some more Ram to take it up to 12GB think my sister will be pleased to have her machine back.

As you could probably tell I'm not a Mac user so this has been a steep learning curve for me with a few hair wrenching moments.

Thanks for all your advice, really appreciated.

Bob

Can't login after upgrade to 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.