Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 bmp battery went bad, now won't boot

i've got a 2010 13" mbp, 2.66ghz c2d, 4gb, 320gb.

the battery went bad and started to swell, so i replaced it. it spent probably a week unused with the battery disconnected.

i replaced the battery with a genuine apple (used) battery from a friend, which works fine.

now the macbook won't boot. it gets to about 30% on the progress bar then restarts. on and on and on again. booting to safemode it gets about 40% in and then just hangs. i put in a new hard drive, and the installer (i've tried yosemite, mavericks, snow leopard) loads to about 30% and just hangs.

i've tried resetting PRAM, SMC to no avail. i've replaced the ram too. i've tried it with or without the battery installed.

what can i do?

thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 3:26 PM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2015 3:45 PM in response to reverendalc

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Alternatively, see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Apr 19, 2015 4:14 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

i cannot boot the recovery, or any GUI for that matter. in verbose mode, the final line reads "waiting for dsmos" and it rests there for maybe 10 seconds before rebooting. the line above that reads "previous shutdown cause: -62"

i can however boot into single-user mode, but i'm not advanced enough of a mac user to know how that may help.

thanks

Apr 19, 2015 5:15 PM in response to reverendalc

additionally, i can start the network recovery, but after it downloads whatever it downloads, it proceeds to load to about 25% before hanging.

i took the hard drive out, and used another macbook to install yosemite on it. placing it back in the laptop, everything is the same.

safemode hangs at about 40%, network recovery hangs at about 25%, and normal boot reboots at around 30%.

i have a screenshot of the verbose output at time of crash if that's helpful.

thanks again

Apr 19, 2015 8:06 PM in response to reverendalc

EDIT: in my earlier post i stated that the machine hung at "waiting for dsmos" however it was hanging at "dsmos has arrived"

from my hackintosh days, i recalled that the display adapter drivers are loaded after that point, so i single-user mode deleted all intelHD and NVDA kexts.

it now hangs at the same place, but doesn't reboot.

does anybody have any further advice?

2010 bmp battery went bad, now won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.