Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a1502 MBP - Black screen - Integrated GPU die?

So last night a friend was plying some dota on my MBP, we get together and play a few light games a couple times a month or so, everything as been fine up until this morning. I woke the computer up and played a flash video after about 15min into the video I noticed artifacts and some screen flickering, I proceeded to reboot the computer which led to a full on black screen. Backlight is still there and caplock works so I know it's turning on. Finally a reset the SMC and PRAM, which did not help the issue.

Lastly I plugged it into my monitor and in the preBoot screens I can see everything on the external monitor perfectly however the moment it boots up it goes black or an extremely foggy image of what should be there; so my theory is the Integrated Intel gpu is failing once it hits 3D clocks. I'm a poor college student in Costa Rica so I can't exactly take it to the apple shop and I'm out of warranty.

So basically has anyone ran into this before any ideas? Else my plan is to reflow the cpu (since I have nothing to loose at this point) and if that fails order a logic board from ifixit or try to sell it an buy a new one... 😟 I'm shocked an integrated gpu could possibly fail like this.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), Mac OS X (10.7.5), null

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 12:53 AM

So happy ending to this it looks like. I discovered it is a display/connection problem after all. If I deactivated the internal display by closing the lid right after pressing the power button with it plugged into an external over TB, the computer would work perfectly. I then discovered if I laid the computer on it's right side everything works! So it appears to be a loose connection giving all the problems, going to get a torx screwdriver and crack her open, shouldn't be a problem 🙂

Hopefully this whole ordeal will be helpful to someone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2015 12:53 AM in response to CrSeth

So happy ending to this it looks like. I discovered it is a display/connection problem after all. If I deactivated the internal display by closing the lid right after pressing the power button with it plugged into an external over TB, the computer would work perfectly. I then discovered if I laid the computer on it's right side everything works! So it appears to be a loose connection giving all the problems, going to get a torx screwdriver and crack her open, shouldn't be a problem 🙂

Hopefully this whole ordeal will be helpful to someone.

a1502 MBP - Black screen - Integrated GPU die?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.