Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I download 10.4 installation disc

My Macbook pro 17" is dead and need to reformat with new image, it is A1212 model and I don't think it supports lion hence I need bootable image which can bring it to original factory settings. Apple forum says, download OS from app store but I couldn't find it either...if you know the link, please help me or guide me if any other suggestions.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 8:07 PM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Kappy

I have original disc of 10.4.9 but when I try to install from that disc, it gives error 'unable to install on this computer' I think Macbook pro A1212 can support upto 10.7 but not sure if I have to first install 10.4.8 and then upgrade all the way.

I think 10.4.9 is original disc came with it. but online article says it should come with 10.4.8...which is confusing.

Apr 22, 2015 7:37 PM in response to whynot13

I don't know where your 10.4.11 disc came from but it's not a retail copy and may have come from a non-Intel Mac. Your model originally came with special versions of 10.4.x. A disc from a different model will not work with it nor vice-versa. You need the original discs that came with the computer. If you don't have them, then you can use a retail copy of Snow Leopard, but it will not contain the original free pre-bundled software nor the Apple Hardware Test.

You must install 10.6.8 in order to re-download Lion, however, that is not the original factory setting. There was only 10.4.7 at the factory.

Apr 23, 2015 3:35 PM in response to whynot13

How To: Installing Tiger Using FireWire Target Disk Mode - http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/os_x_odyssey_752_how_to_installing_tige r_using_firewire_target_disk_mode/

Theoretically OSX installations are machine specific but I have found them to be remarkably tolerant as long as you aren't trying to do anything too different (I think MBO to MBO is pretty similr).

How can I download 10.4 installation disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.