Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app not working:

Hi there,

Recently, all the photographs in Photos disappeared. Now when I open Photos it's like its a new program. When I close it, it will not close and has to be forced to close every time.

3 Things:

1. Are my photos still on my computer somewhere and if so, where are they?

2. How do I repair the Photos Application?

3. Finally, I do have backups on an external HD. How do I restore the photos from the back up?

I know I know, lots of questions, sorry about that. I'd appreciate any help with this. Thanks very much,

Richard

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 3:08 AM

Drag Photos to the Trash. Then try downloading and installing the OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update.

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 3:09 AM in response to xxccllcc

So, when photos came in with 10.10.3, when you launch it, it asks you if you want to import from your iPhoto library.. We choose that and then new Photos app creates a parallel library file in same location. It also uses iCloud to store all he photos and keep optimized photos on you mac to save disk space. I am not sure whats going on with your mac, but, something could be corrupt or stuck.

Try to find the library file that the new Photos app is using on your Mac and rename it. Then try launching it so it re-creates a new library from scratch. BTW: the conversion process has taken me weeks and its still going on 🙂 so if you can afford to start a new library, do so. If not, I would suggest you take your iPhoto library on another mac with older OS< export all the photos. Then import them into your Photos app someday when you have time. Let me know if that helps. My library is under "username"->Pictures->iPhoto folder. Good luck !

Photos app not working:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.