Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leaving MacBook Pro at home during 2 week vacation.

I'm leaving my MacBook at home during a 2 week trip to Europe. I assume the battery will die even with the power turned off. Is this a problem?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:01 PM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2015 9:20 PM in response to jmreich

So like Kappy says that would be the ideal.

Two weeks isn't that long a time:

Mac notebooks: About battery storage life - Apple Support

"Notes on storage

Lithium Ion Batteries (Li-Ion)

• 1 to 2 months - Battery should still have minimal charge to operate the computer
  • 6 to 12 months - Battery can still be charged
  • 12 months or more - Uncertain

Learn more

Batteries may be damaged if stored for prolonged periods with a closed circuit. The environmental temperature also affects the storage life of any battery. Cool environments are best, and are assumed for the above estimates. All storage times are based on storage starting with the battery fully charged. For example, schools that may not use their Mac notebook computers during a long weekend or break should fully charge the batteries, remove them from the computers, and store them in a cool location for the duration of the break. For computers that have non-removable batteries, shutdown the computer and fully charge the battery. If storage will be longer than a month, fully recharge the battery every two months."

If you're uneasy about opening the computer it would be ok to leave it as noted above.

Leaving MacBook Pro at home during 2 week vacation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.