Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (Mid 2012 - Yosemite) Sudden Shutdown

Problem:

My Macbook Pro resets randomly. It started almost one week ago, I checked the logs, aside the last one all where unexpected shutdowns. I cant find any relation between the shutdowns. I wasn't using any program in particular all those times (Aside Google Chrome/ Mail). Did not made any update or any change really. I cant find any information on the "Shutdown causes" aside that 0 is normal. My mac felt once, so my first suspect was that maybe the hard drive movement sensor went wrong, however there was no abnormal behaviour after sudden movements.

Specs:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) 2.5Ghz

Yosemite 10.10.2

Steps taken:

• April 14 - Reset PRAM
  • April 14 - Reset SMC
  • April 14 - Ran hard drive diagnostics (But pretty its not the hard drive)
  • April 16 - Called Apple Support, they asked me to reset again the SMC and the PRAM. And call again if the problem persists.

Console log:

Apr 13 10:09:09 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: 3 <--- Problem started

Apr 16 08:08:43 Francos-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: 3 <--- Weird why this time was not localhost

Apr 16 08:59:43 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: -112 <--- This time It took me 3 attempts to turn on the mac

Apr 16 09:28:37 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: 3

Apr 16 09:41:20 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: -2

Apr 16 13:03:17 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: 3

Apr 19 17:09:46 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: 3

Apr 19 18:44:32 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: -2

Apr 19 19:19:15 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: 3

Apr 19 19:25:33 localhost kernel[0] <Notice>: Previous shutdown cause: 0

PD:

Im a little worried than my warranty expires on the next month, and that sadly my mac felt once on February, it did damage the display assembly, however that would not have any relation with this problem, and I had no issues event after that until now. I could understand that apple warranty policies stated that any physical damage would make it void. Anyone know if this would apply? (I actually dont mind if they only replaced the logic board, which I think is the main suspect, I only want my mac to work flawlessly)

Anyone have any idea why is this happening, or experiences with something like this before?

Thanks guys!

Franco

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:14 PM

10 replies

Apr 19, 2015 7:17 PM in response to FVA

Hello Franco, I have been having this "Sudden Unexpected Shutdown" in the last month or so. OS Yosemite 10.10.3 , I've sent the "Report Logs To Apple Support".

However, I have Not Gotten A Response about this sudden shutdown.

Sad thing is I Really Was Beginning To Enjoy My Macbook Pro, before this started happening. I am an video editor, and a potential client isn't going to be concerned about my woes with this situation,they want the job done right away.

The only thing I really noticed prior to the shutdown is the top left corner of the unit started to get hot, I would venture to say about 90deg or a little more.

In any case, I would like to know how to remedy the problem, I brought this Mac Pro to make money not loss it.

Have A Good One!!!

R.Askew

Apr 19, 2015 7:40 PM in response to FVA

There have been two abnormal shutdowns in the last few days. A negative shutdown code may indicate a hardware problem. The precise meaning of the codes is not publicly documented.

If you haven't already done so, you can try resetting the System Management Controller. Otherwise, or if the reset has no effect, see below.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Apr 19, 2015 8:05 PM in response to Linc Davis

Davis,

Thanks for your response, the weird thing is that although they don't have a negative code, all of them were sudden shutdows except for the one of the with code 0. I already reset the SMC. Whats new is that the last time a random shutdown happened (Around 20:~) I could not turn on the computer, I could only hear a ticking sound, called apple support to make an appointment at an authorised service provider, and after reseting again the SMC and the PRAM the mac finally started working.

I got the backup part covered.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2015 8:17 PM in response to raztech1024z

Hey Askew,

Im sorry you are experiencing the same problem. Honestly Macs experience is excellent in general. I have used several machines and this is the first time I experience problems with a Mac. I cant say the same about other brands. I will keep you updated if I found a solution, or what Im told at the service store.

Whats interesting is that this has been happening recently, how long have you been using your mac?

Did you made any hardware changes?

I havent noticed the change on temperature, ill check it out next time.

Last thing, would you mind sharing your logs on the shutdown?

On a terminal window, paste the following script (without quotes): "syslog | grep -e "shutdown cause" -e " shutdown cause:" | more"

It may take some seconds, so be patient.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2015 5:39 PM in response to FVA

Greetings FVA & Mr.Davis

I will definitely follow all of your advice Mr.Davis, I'm forunate to have a "Real Technical-Minded Scholar" Reply to a distress summon for assistance.

It Is Greatly Appreciated.

FVA, I'll get those logs,and post them, however I only remember recording two or three out of the numerous shut downs. Reason is hurrying to complete stuff prior to the shut down.

Only half way good thing is when the system comes back up and running 2/3 of the stuff comes back, it's the other 1/3 that irritates me .

I'm converting from the PC Realm to the Mac-side of working, talk about work arounds it's been a "New Journey".

In any case just give me a little time to post it..

Thank You Both For Sharing Your Intelligence & Time, It Is Greatly Appreciated!.

R.Askew

Jun 15, 2015 7:29 AM in response to FVA

I'm experiencing the same problem with my 15-inch macbook pro mid-2012 (non-retina) after installing Yosemite 10.10.3 . Disabling the 'Automatic graphics switching' seems to be a work-around, but it results in the system only using the NVIDIA GeForce which drains my batteries in less than 3 hours.

My system work just fine when booting from a external usb drive with OSX Lion and the 'Automatic graphics switching' enabled.

See also: Macbook Pro Mid 2012: Issues with Yosemite update, graphics, and hard drive.

Macbook Pro (Mid 2012 - Yosemite) Sudden Shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.