Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro doesn't connect to iCloud. It only connects to the internet through Google.

How do I reconnect through the internet through Safari and Mail? It just stopped working today.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Late 2011

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 9:04 PM

Run the Network Diagnostics assistant. How far do you get?

14 replies

Apr 19, 2015 9:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

I went through the wireless diagnostics and got a message about changing my DNS to GoogleDNS or OpenDNS until I could contact my ISP. Tried the "fix" and restarted to no avail. I'm connected to the internet and it works with Google Chrome. But Safari, iTunes, Mail and anything else will not directly connect to the ISP which is AT&T. Weird, because it was working fine yesterday. Thanks for helping, Linc,

Scott

Apr 20, 2015 11:17 AM in response to lastcall13

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Apr 21, 2015 12:01 AM in response to lastcall13

One thing that seems unusual: iCloud asks me for my Apple ID password after I log in and click on Safari or another Apple application. I enter it one time, it does a quick flash, then asks me for it again, I enter it again and the box disappears. Then it proceeds to try to start the app only to end up telling me that I'm not connected to the internet. Thanks again for your help.

Apr 21, 2015 6:09 AM in response to lastcall13

Back up all data.

Unlock the Network preference pane, if necessary, by clicking the lock icon in the lower left corner and entering your password. Cllck Advanced, open the DNS tab, and change the server addresses to the following:

That's Google DNS. Click OK, then Apply.

In Safari, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. If you’re using another browser, empty the cache. Test. Any difference?

Notes:

1. If you lose Internet access after making the above change to your network settings, delete the Google servers in the Network preference pane, then select the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP Lease. That should restore the original DNS settings; otherwise restore them yourself. Remember that you must click Apply in order for any changes to take effect.

2. I don't use Google DNS myself, though I have tested it, and I'm not recommending it or any other DNS provider; the server addresses are offered merely for testing purposes. There may be privacy and technical issues involved in using that service, which you should investigate personally before you decide whether to keep the settings. Other public DNS services exist.

Apr 21, 2015 5:01 PM in response to lastcall13

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Apr 24, 2015 11:41 AM in response to Linc Davis

Did I lose you, Linc? Just realized that my replies may have been going back to myself for the past 2 days :-0. Since my last attempted reply to you, I also reloaded OS X Yosemite. Nothing has changed. Safari works in Recovery mode, but not in normal mode. I can still connect to the internet through Google. I'm about to give up and go to the Mac store. Any final suggestions? Thanks!

Apr 24, 2015 5:00 PM in response to lastcall13

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

my macbook pro doesn't connect to iCloud. It only connects to the internet through Google.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.