Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

Last weekend my Time Machine software stopped working properly seemingly after the last OS update. Now, my Time Machine is "preparing backup" for hours and if a connection is made, the back up is extremely slow. My hardware is working as I am able to transfer files onto the Time Capsule and after going to the Apple Store today and my system being restored to factory settings, I was able to restore using my Time Capsule. The Apple Store said that restoring the factory settings was the last possible fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 7:34 PM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2015 7:54 PM in response to Mattvinci

Since the folks at the Apple store had to reinstall the operating system on your Mac, in effect you now have a "new" Mac.

That being the case, Time Machine is going to try to back up your entire Mac. That is why Time Machine is taking so long in "Preparing".

You can let Time Machine keep "Preparing" and wait and see if it will backup everything.

Hopefully, you have the Mac connected to the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet connection, as this process will be 3-4 times faster on average with that type of connection.

Another way of saying the same thing is that if you have a wireless connection between the Mac and Time Capsule, things are going to take a very, very long time to complete. Depending on how long "Preparing" has been going on, you might want to cancel the backup and then establish a wired connection so the next try will go much faster.

If Time Machine eventually comes back with a message that indicates that the backup is too large and the backup cannot be completed, you will need to think about adding another Time Capsule, or adding another USB drive to the Time Capsule and starting the new backups there.

You also have the option of erasing the Time Capsule that you have and starting all over again with new backups. The advantage here is that there is no additional expense, but the downside is that you lose your old backups.

Apr 28, 2015 3:11 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob

Since upgrading to 10.10.3 I have been unable to back up to hard disk via cable as after over an hour it is still Preparing Backup.

I suspect there is a problem with this upgrade especially as there was a Yosemite Recovery V1 update that I applied recently.

I seem to remember there was a similar complete failure of Time Machine a while ago following an OSX update.

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.